Oregon chainsaw sharpening gizmo

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mart

Forager
Apr 6, 2008
cumbria
Has anyone seen/used the new oregon chain sharpening device. Apparently it will sharpen a chain in about 5 seconds but I never belive the hype. Sounds good though but you have to buy a new bar and chain as the cutters face the other way so they can be sharpened by the Gizmo. Anyone got any input???

Thanks, Mart.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
My Stihl cutters alternate direction - is this not the case with the Oregon chains?

The sharpening device looks like it's mains powered and thus no good in the field - I was told you should sharpen the chain on every refuel. I guess if you're sawing through a lot of logs at home and can't spent 5 minutes with a file then it's fine but otherwise seems a bit expensive

Wettstuff

Tenderfoot
Oct 14, 2005
Ascot
I think the gadget your talking about is the quick sharp? yellow thing?

If so i think its a bit of a gimmic to be honest. I was talking to a guy at a show recently (soltec in windsor) and he was trying desperatly to sell me one. By his reckoning, the chain is good for about 20-30 sharpens which is no different to a standard chain done with a file or a grinder. It works by having the teeth like chisel blades facing the nose of the bar and the bit that clips onto the nose has a sharpening stone on a spring so that to sharpen you push the gadget on the nose against something hard and let the teeth and stone grind togehter.

If your an irregular user i suppose it could be usefull, but i'll stick with my file for now.

HTH
Mark

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE