Optimus nova + HELP!!!

sandmanemma

Oct 12, 2010
cheshire
Hi everyone, I am a newbbie so please be gentle! I have an 'Optimus Nova +' stove that is approx 2yrs old, it was giving faultless service until 2 wks ago. The problem i have is that i cant keep the stove lit! After the preheat process is carried out and the main fuel supply is turned on the stove stays alight for about 30 seconds or so then goes out. I have tried replacing the fuel filter and have even tried running without all to no avail. I have also carried out a full service and replaced 'O' rings etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Rob

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
The Optimus recall notice is here but I don't think that's your problem. There is information in the recall notice which will tell you whether or not your stove is one of those affected by the recall notice. Basically I believe that if the burner is painted black you have a problem but you shouldn't take my word for it, the full details are on the Optimus Website.

You've read the instructions, right? :)

Assuming that you have enough fuel in the bottle, and you are sure that the pump is working and pressurising the fuel bottle properly, and the bottle is the right way up, and the weighted pipe still has the weight attached, then it sounds very much like something is blocking the fuel path somewhere. In that case I think you will probably need to clean everything more carefully.

To see if the fuel line is blocked, take the stove outside and stand it somewhere safe on something like a dustbin lid to catch fuel. Take off the little burner cap (a small flat plate about 20mm diameter with three little 'arms' which clip it to the burner). Pressurize the fuel bottle. Open the burner valve (without lighting it) and you should be able to see a continuous jet of liquid fuel squirt up into the air out of the burner. If it starts to come out and then slows down to a trickle then you need to find what is blocking the fuel path. If you have replaced seals etc. you know how to dismantle the stove so simply dismantle is piece by piece starting at the burner and work back towards the fuel pump until you find the blocked item. My guess would be that it's in the burner or the burner valve.

I had similar problems with a new Hiker+ in February. Rather then mess around repairing a brand new stove, I sent it back for a refund. I have several other Optimus stoves, some very old, and I wouldn't part with them for anything. But I'm afraid it seems to me that recently the manufacturing has gone downhill. I wouldn't buy another new Optimus until I'm persuaded that they've sorted out the manufacturing problems.

Last edited:

walker

Oct 27, 2006
devon
i switched to primus and bought the omnifuel havent looked back
just by chance is yours the one with the adjustment green thing on the fuel line
you could try checking there
have you tryed emailing them with your problem they could be of some help

sandmanemma

Oct 12, 2010
cheshire
Hi guys, thanks for all your help. Unfortunately my stove is not one for recall. I think ged may be correct, in that there is a fuel blockage in the fuel line. I have completely stripped down and re-built, and yes even though i am male 'i have read the instructions'!!:p I am awaiting a reply from 'Optimus'. In the mean time i shall strip down again and double check fuel line. It just seems strange that air from the fuel bottle can be heard coming from the stove. Thanks again guys,i will let you know how i get on.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
...It just seems strange that air from the fuel bottle can be heard coming from the stove...

That's why I mentioned the weighted pipe in the fuel bottle. If it's floating on the fuel (and so air is being forced into the pipe) instead of sinking into the fuel that could explain that symptom. A full line of fuel would probably burn for the sort of time that you're seeing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE