Optimus Hiker Plus

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
I don't have the Hiker Plus, but I do have a 111T which appears to be virtually identical, if only a bit older. If you're walking then you've probably made the right choice as the 111 is a chunk to carry, particularly full of fuel. If I remember I'll weigh mine tomorrow. For car or canoe camping where you're not putting the pounds on your back and feet, it's ace and (in ideal conditions) boils a litre of water faster than the middle sized gas ring on our kitchen cooker. Mine holds around 2 pints of paraffin and if the figures for the Hiker Plus are the same as for the 111 then that equates to around 6 hours of cooking time on a full tank - given that it will boil a litre in under 6 minutes, including priming, that's an awful lot of tea.

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
As you've ordered a stove now I suppose it doesn't matter, but two other alternatives would have been the Svea 123 or the optimus 8r. Both lighter than the hiker. As Adze said they are very good stoves. Only thing I would disagree on is the fuel capacity of the tank.

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
No Hiker+ :(
I have a 111, a 123 and an 8R and some others...they are all good! Serious work horses, with the 111 being a real power house for cooking for a family. The 123 gets used when we are two or going solo....
I would love to have a Polaris too tbh....

Last edited:

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
From what I hear over at CCS, the hiker+ is a bit of a turd.
Heavy and bulky like the old stoves, but none of the old reliability.

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
At the moment I've got three optimus 111s,one 8, three 8rs, one all refurbed, one Russian clone and one Svea 123 fully working. I wouldn't know about the hiker plus I haven't got one. I dont intend getting one because I don't like the look of them and I'm happy with the older stoves.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I don't have the Hiker Plus, but I do have a 111T which appears to be virtually identical, if only a bit older. If you're walking then you've probably made the right choice as the 111 is a chunk to carry, particularly full of fuel. If I remember I'll weigh mine tomorrow. For car or canoe camping where you're not putting the pounds on your back and feet, it's ace and (in ideal conditions) boils a litre of water faster than the middle sized gas ring on our kitchen cooker. Mine holds around 2 pints of paraffin and if the figures for the Hiker Plus are the same as for the 111 then that equates to around 6 hours of cooking time on a full tank - given that it will boil a litre in under 6 minutes, including priming, that's an awful lot of tea.

You must have fitted an extra large fuel tank on yours, all of my 111 range only hold about 12oz of fuel...great stoves though

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
Congrats on a new toy! We should all cherish the few and far between moments in life that can invoke those same feelings of joy, as did the Christmas presents of childhood :)

Can I suggest you start out with a less extreme choice of fuel? Kerosene perhaps?
I know some modern stoves are supposed to burn diesel well, but it is usually at the limit of the capabilities.
If your new stove won't function properly, you'll be in doubt wether it's a fuel issue rather than a clear cut malfunction.
Other possible bad outcomes like leaks, or failure to reach sufficient temperatures during preheat, is a lot less pleasant with diesel than kero.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
A small tube of lubricant ( vaseline?) is included. But, again, no spare o-rings, no spare leather cuff.

Include things which they can charge you extra for? In this day and age? Unlikely. Let us know the time for a litre and the conditions of the test boil (ambient temperature and the type of pot you use) and I'll race you with the 111T .

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Janne - As you're testing it perhaps go through the fuels from 'cleanest' to 'dirtiest' and back again to see how or if using derv affects performance and/or cleaning?

The aluminium under and windshield on my MSR is actually quite effective :) (But I did manage to ment a bit of the original under disk :eek: ). I've found a paper clip a very useful addition to the windshield ~ because it is flimsy. I just use it to form and keep the shield circular ;)

Include things which they can charge you extra for? In this day and age? Unlikely.

:rofl:

Too true! I has a quick and terse conversation with Optimus' U.K main importer/supplier bods afer my Crux 'failed' in the middle of nowhere. I wanted to know whether a field servicing kit was available ~ the tiniest bit of grit had gotten into the jet and blocked it :( . The riser tube is open to fouling and all it needs to sort it is a C-spanner and a pricker needle. Their response was that no one should mess with a gas stove as it's too dangerous and it should be returned for checking and servicing. My response? That returning it to be fixed wasn't an option when I was in the middle of nowhere and needed it to work ... if it really shouldn't be messed with in the field then why is it possible to MacGyver it open and fix the issue ... and just how is pressurised gas any more dangerous than pressurised petrol, which they sold maintenance kits for?

They were not happy bunnies ;)

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
At least as far back as the early 90's. Maybe replace the windshield with a hinged plate one?

(Another expense over and above, I know)

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Diesel fuel for road vehicles might have other additives (it definitely does in the UK - not sure about elsewhere) which might cause poor combustion in your stove. Light heating oil, paraffin, kerosene are all basically the same thing - they're what you're after rather than road fuel.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Diesel fuel for road vehicles might have other additives (it definitely does in the UK - not sure about elsewhere) which might cause poor combustion in your stove. Light heating oil, paraffin, kerosene are all basically the same thing - they're what you're after rather than road fuel.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE