Optimus Crux & Terra Weekend

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
I usually stick to Trangias for my cook systems, a model 25 and a 27 with meths / gas or Optimus Nova+ multifuel heat source covers most situations but there are times when a compact gas stove is handy so I recently bought an Optimus Crux stove along with the Optimus Terra Weekend Cookset and an Optimus Titanium Folding Spork.

Optimus Crux

The Crux stove is a clever wee thing, hidden inside a neoprene pouch the stove nestles in the recess in the bottom of your gas canister.
It doesn't rattle, it's well protected and it takes up very little room.

DSC03320.jpg

DSC03317.jpg

DSC03318.jpg

DSC03319.jpg

It's tiny
DSC03289.jpg

DSC03291.jpg

Really tiny
DSC03290.jpg

Open out the burner and control, everything clicks nicely into place.
DSC03292.jpg

Screw the stove onto the cylinder
DSC03293.jpg

Then fold out the pot supports and your good to go
DSC03294.jpg

It's may be compact but it's still a full power stove.
DSC03313.jpg

I suppose the competition for the Crux is the MSR Pocket Rocket
DSC02289.jpg

DSC02291.jpg

Not much between in weight between them but the crux takes up less room because it stores in the base of the gas cylinder and IMO has better control, better pot supports and a higher output.

Both are well made, the MSR is a simple design and some will argue that fewer moving parts equals greater reliability, the Crux is a more complex design but it's also very well made and i can't see that being a problem.
I bought both, sold the Pocket Rocket and kept the Crux

Manufacturers spec
The Optimus Crux is so lightweight and compact that you won’t even know you’re carrying this powerful 3000W burner. Thanks to an innovative folding burner head and the convenient strap-on protective stuff bag, Optimus Crux packs down to nothing and stores in the empty base of your LP-gas canister. A technical wonder designed for weight chasers who refuse to compromise cooking performance. Enjoy every meal! Weight: 83 g. Measurements: L 84 mm x W 57 mm x H 31 mm. Average burn time: up to 60 minutes at maximum output (220 g gas canister). Average boil time for 1 L of water: as little as 3 minutes depending on climate, altitude, etc. Includes burner with valve and stuff bag.Average boil time for 1 L of water
~ 3 min/1 l water, depending on climate, altitude etc.

Average burn time - up to 60 min at maximum output (220 g canister)

Dimensions (cm) - 8,4 x 5,7 x 3,1

Dimensions (in) - 3.3 x 2.2 x 1.2

Fuel type - Butane/propane gas canister (not included)

Kit includes - Burner with valve and stuff bag

Output (BTU) - 10200

Output (W) - 3000

Technology - Gas

Weight (grams) - 83

Weight (oz) - 2.92

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Terra Weekend cook set

DSC03280.jpg

DSC03279.jpg

DSC03295.jpg

The cook set is well made, the main pot holds .8L with .2L, .4L, .6L and .8L graduation markings inside and a pouring spout
The hard anodised finish is tough and easy to clean, the set has a quality look and feel to it.
I don't like the handles on the pot, they are not as comfortable to hold as the wire fold out handles on the likes of the MSR titan kettle or the Crusader Mug.
The fry pan is a joke - it's too small to use as a frying pan, holds less than .2L so it's not even big enough to use as a cup.
It's clever little folding handle is wasted on it, I'd rather just have a simple lid or make it a big enough to use as a cup.
All in all it's well made but just not as clever or as well designed as the crux.

Manufacturers spec
Ultra light 0.95 l hard-anodised aluminium cookset with fry pan and mesh bag. Designed to aaccommodatea 220 g gas canister, Optimus Crux or Crux Lite and a folding spork. Weight: 222 g (7.8 oz).

Dimensions (cm) - 13.2 x 12.3

Dimensions (in) - 5.2 x 4.8

Weight (grams) - 222

Weight (oz) - 7.8

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Optimus Titanium Folding Spork

Hmmm, well it's part of the set so here goes.
It's a titanium folding spork, beautifully made, ultra light weight BUT it's a spork :yuck:
If it was a titanium folding spoon i would say that it was fantastic piece of kit and that everybody should rush out and buy one but it's not a spoon.
The Light My Fire "spork" is a grand wee thing, spoon on one end, fork on the other but this style of spork is lost on me , it's a jack of all trades and master of none.
If you like the design it is well made and light.

DSC03296.jpg

DSC03297.jpg

Manufacturers spec
Lightweight Titanium Alloy folding spork (spoon/fork). Matte finish handle with a polished eating surface. Fits inside ultra small Optimus Terra Weekend and Solo cooksets.

Dimensions (cm) - 9.5 (folded)

Dimensions (in) - 3.7 (folded)

Weight (grams) - 18

Weight (oz) - 0.63

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
So put them all together and you have a pretty comprehensive and light weight cook system.
DSC03308.jpg

DSC03305.jpg

It's a pretty stable set up with good heat control and really only lacking a wind shield

A drop of porridge was a welcome treat after taking all the pics :)
DSC03307.jpg

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
I sometimes use a Jet Boil which is great for a quick brew but it's not much of a cooker, the Optimus set is obviously not as handy or quick for a brew but it is a more versatile cooker.
DSC03311.jpg

The stove is great but rather than use the weekend cook set i choose to use the Jet Boils smaller gas cartridge and couple it with my favourite snowpeak titanium mug and lid, it has a better handle as well as being lighter and more compact .
DSC03278.jpg

DSC03279-1.jpg

The stove and smaller gas cartridge also fit easily into a Crusader mug or a 12cm Zebra billy.

DSC03300-1.jpg

DSC03303-1.jpg

DSC03289-1.jpg

DSC03297-1.jpg

DSC03308-1.jpg

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
The Optimus Crux is a fab little toy. I got a Jetboil for Christmas, and although I'm very impressed with it, it went straight into my webbing and my Crux set-up is more of an EDC for me.

I use one of the micro-canisters and a Crux inside an MSR Titan Kettle, along with cannister feet, an Esbit titanium burner and a small tube of hexamine tablets. Matches, lighter and an AMK Spark Lite provide sparks/flame.

Claudiasboris

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
I'm really impressed with mine. Powerful, light and I just love the way that if folds to fit under a gas cannister. Inspired!

I must say that I've always been nervous of burners that fit on top of the cannister and usually prefer remote burners, but (so far) haven't had any problems and the cannister feet add some stability.

Recommended piece of kit!

Claudiasboris

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE