Optimus 8R

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Hi are these stoves any good or do they have any major downfalls? I know they're heavy but can't find a lot of info about them, anything anyone can add would be good.

bivouac

Forager
Jan 30, 2010
Three Counties
An absolute classic. They fetch good money on Ebay when they come up so if you can get it cheap then go for it. If you want more info then the full name is Optimus 8R Hunter. I think you can get spares for them easily enough but you could try www.spiritburner.com

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
They can be really good stoves but they can also be quite variable. I have a couple at the moment as well as a 99 ( an 8R in an aluminum case) and they all run at different rates. However they are easy to service and fettle and provide a stable surface for pots etc although you have to be careful with large diameter pots.

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Scoman mate that is a great deal.
I believe the new type have a new burner that can take kero and diesel, they are expensive also.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Scoman mate that is a great deal.
I believe the new type have a new burner that can take kero and diesel, they are expensive also.

I think you might be confusing the Optimus 8R with the Optimus 111. They are similar looking stoves but with very different operating principles....

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
What's the difference between the two then? :)

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Optimus 8R is a self pressurizing stove designed to run on 'petrol' it has no pump to pressurize the fuel tank. It relies on the heat from the burner conducting into the fuel tank to vaporize the 'petrol' to produce pressure to run the stove.

You need to exercise care and caution not to allow the stove to build up too much heat and hence pressure. When they are running well they are a delight to use and work very well.

If you try and run this type of stove on fuels that do not readily vaporize such as kero or diesel then Bon chance..

An Optimus 111 has a pump in the tank to allow you to pressurize the fuel with air thereby forcing fuel into the burner where the heat from the burner or priming flame vapourises the fuel which mixes with air and combustion follows.

The Optimus 111 comes in several different models with different burners its also physically larger than an Optimus 8R
Probably a bit heavy for single backpacking....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE