Optimum sharps combo for long trip

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
This may have been done to death already but there is not too much on search so I thought I'd ask!

I was wondering... if you were going on an extended trip, say 4 months, what sharps would you carry? I guess the limiting factor is they have to be checked into hold luggage on a long haul flight. And I am primarily interested in Canadian temperate coastal forest with some alpine.

The standard would be a small axe, a fixed blade, a spoon knife and perhaps a utility folder with some extras.

But interested to hear views on this.

Can you even check a small axe in hold baggage?

Thanks,

Chris

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
Can you even check a small axe in hold baggage?

far as I know, you can happilly carry most sharps without any issue so long as they are legal at both ends of your trip.

if it is a worry, you could allways look at getting something when you arrive at your destination. that way you only have to worry about taking it back (if you decide to take it back, which I imagine you would)
annother option (especially for the return trip) might be to "post" it over, again avoiding the hold baggage limits. could be expensive though, especially if customs decide to charge you.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'd maybe consider adding a folding buck saw to the list Chris, the Duluth one looks good and relatively lightweight.

As above I'm pretty sure you can pack anything you want in the hold as long as it's legal.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
I'd doubt many airlines would have a problem carrying sharps so long as they're in a decent suitcase or similar hard case - after all, you can check firearms into the hold.

My combo would be bushcraft knife, Bahco folding saw, small axe.

Tobes

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Why a saw and an axe?

Saw for cutting bigger pieces faster, and an axe for limbing, splitting and rough carving.

I would have thought having both for an extended period in somewhere like a Canadian forest would have its' benefits over time.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
My "bare bones" would be the Wenger 57 and a fixed blade knife. If just bumming around I'd add a folding saw (my silky pocket boy). Axe and bucksaw blade if theres a prospect of needing to process a lot of wood for fire or shelter.

That's my bases covered

I'd ditch the spoon knife - two knives is plenty in my book!

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Saw for cutting bigger pieces faster, and an axe for limbing, splitting and rough carving.

I would have thought having both for an extended period in somewhere like a Canadian forest would have its' benefits over time.

I agree Rich, a saw can save a lot effort for some tasks but it can't do other tasks as well as an axe.

My cutting tools would be-

A knife that is a touch bigger than your standard woodlore type.

Axe. It would be a large one if we're talking of sub-arctic forests in anything other than summer.

Small thin knife for carving and food prep.

Bow saw. If I'm trekking, just the blade and I'll make handles as I go.

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Hmmm,

I'd go for a multitool (Leatherman Wave), sturdy knife (F1), an axe (GB SFA), and a folding saw (Lapplander maybe?).

Plus linseed oil, gun oil, axe stone (axe), DC4 sharpening stone, toothpaste (polish), shoe polish + brushes (sheaths), a can of WD40 (bought locally).

Taking care of your tools is at least as important, especially on long trips, as the tools themselves.

Mike

Just to cover the stereotypes :D

Mike

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE