Opinions on the Summer Truffle

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
I tried some Summer Truffles, otherwise known as Tuber Aestivum this week. I've read in many books, that despite there hard outer crust, that there delicious, however, quite frankly I thought they were severely overated. All I could taste was a sought of funny subtle green taste. I ate them both raw and cooked. Sliced and eaten as they are, raw with olive oil, on toast and in scrambled egg. I don't see what the hype is all about? Who else has tried this kind of truffle? Tell me your views and opinions on its taste.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
If you have any spare you could send me some to try getting to grow by infecting acorns with it.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I'm not familiar with that particular truffle, but on the whole truffles are:

(a) best used as a complementary flavour in something else rather than as the main event; and
(b) something of an acquired taste.

White truffle oil is an essential ingredient in my potato salad. I have a friend who claims to hate truffles, but he loves my potato salad...

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
I couldn't really taste anything. Most rich foods I don't really see what the hype is all about. Caviar I thought was like awful salty slop. I'd imagin it is a very delicate taste sensation that I can't taste because I smoke. I think I'l stick to the good old Boletus Edulis when it comes to shrooms.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE