Opinel saws

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
I had one and sold it on, forget which model. Cut well but you can get at least as good cutting performance with less bulk with a silky or laplander, I sold my laplander too and now stick with the silky pocketboy as my own preference.

Cheers, Paul

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
My dad bought me one a while ago.

Tbh I find all these little folding saws fairly useless if you're axe is sharp so I only use it for cutting walking sticks or trimming small branches
Neatly
It works pretty well but a laplander will out cut it. The opinal has a nicer look and feel though

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Thanks for the replies and info chaps. I think I'll stick with my laplander then. From what you say, its not worth me considering for the types of uses I need it for.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
The blades always seem to catch and kink on the Opinel saws, and I'm easy on tools - I'd never want to rely on one, the Bahco is head and shoulders above the Opinel, Silky that much better again.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Same experience here, I've had both the 12 and the 18 and frankly thought them to be poor at best. While a Silkie remains on my wish-list, I've had my fair share of DIY store and gardening type folding saws - and now a few Laplander's - all of which outshone the Opinel's. The blade on the Opi's seems to be soft as they bend very easily and thereafter don't fold too well, I also didn't like the locking mechanism on the 18.

Save your money

ATB

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE