Opinel Noir

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

markw

Forager
Jul 26, 2005
Leicestershire
Evening all,

Following on from a thread I was reading a while back about blade discoloration and staining. I thought I'd give my spare Opi 8 the vinegar treatment. As suggested I left it overnight wrapped in kitchen rolled soaked in vinegar and was surprised at the result.

I was expecting a uneven mottled/patterned effect. The result I got, a fairly even, deep black finish surprised me.

It remains to be seen how the new finish holds up to use and if it actually goes any way to helping preserve the metal.

Mark

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
I did mine with some gun blueing paste, worked a treat and seems to resist staining and rusting alot more, although, i'm not too sure about using it on food now as the chemicals used are a bit nasty :confused: it looks like some sort of potassium chlorate mix ????

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
I think the uneven/ mottled effect is dependant on the textured pattern on the paper towel you use for the vinegar soak. I used 'Maureen and Audreys' stuff on my Mora and it looked like damascus in the end! Bizarre!

davep90

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2006
wigan
I ended up with a nice patterned puukko(sp?) blade after cutting up onions to go with a nice big steak. I was really dissapointed at first as I had just finished making the knife and was testing its cutting ability in the kitchen. Im now glad I did it as a good bit of staining to carbon steel gives it nice character.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
I soaked my carbon Mora overnight and it took some of the metal off of it! Now it has a slightly uneven surface.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Question: You can get the same effect on the blade by leaving it shoved into a potato or apple overnight, correct? I distinctly recall reading about that somewhere.

Curious,

Adam

B

bosknurft

You can get that effect by just slicing potato or apple and not cleaning the blade immediately afterwards.

The corrosion will noticeably degrade the edge. There's something to be said for using stainless steel whenever you're preparing food.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE