Opinel No4

Thenihilist

Nomad
Oct 3, 2011
Fife, Scotland
Whenever i wear some clothes like a suit i find my usual EDC (SAK Huntsman) is a bit too chunky in the pocket.

For those occasions i'm thinking of getting an Opinel No4 because i like Opinel's but i can't find if they are non locking or not so before i get one i thought i better ask, so does anyone know?

Cheers

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
the No 4 is tiny, key ring sized
unless you have small hands I'd get a No 6, and just take the lock off. (keep it safe, and you can always put it back on when you need to)

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Or consider a small spyderco or one of the Rogers of sheffield range of pocket knives. They are mostly flat so will look better and fit easily in a suit pocket (jacket or trousers). Its what I use when I need to be more formally attired!
HTH

outdoorpaddy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
I have a No. 6 which is just about the right size in the hand and UK legal when you pop the lock off which isn't too difficult after the first time, just make sure you don't lose it because it launches itself quite far away when you pop it off.
hope this helps

outdoorpaddy

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
it's really easy to remove the locking ring from the new design of opinels (the ones that lock closed), just lock the blade in the closed position and then open it, the locking ring simply pops off. when you want to put it back on just push it on as far as it'll easily go and then give it sharp tap on something, your hands if the skin's fairly tough, or the floor if you're the kind of bloke who understands the term "skin care regime". iirc the number 6 is the largest that can be made EDC legal just by removing the locking ring, if you want to modify the blade at all (a lot of people get rid of the upswept tip in favour of something a bit more bushcrafty) then a number 7 is a good size.

HTH

stuart

Steffen

Forager
Jun 13, 2010
Norway
thanks for the tip, i just popped off the nut on my no.8.
its slightly uglier now.

1-3.jpg

Last edited:

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I've got the no7 and no8, and if I were to use one as a edc I'd remove the locking ring from the no8 and file a bit it blade tip (as it's very delicate anyway as theno8 fits better in my hand.

I've removed the tip and shaped the handle on my no7 and I love the thing.
The svord peasant knife is rather large..great knife though.

You could try a spyderco, they make a few tiny all metal pocket knives perfect for edc!

Thenihilist

Nomad
Oct 3, 2011
Fife, Scotland
I didn't notice that the handles got smaller too, the No4 only has 2.5" handle.

Now i've got a decision to make, No6 and just remove the lock or number 7 and grind the tip down, the number 7 has a 3 and 1/8 inch blade so it wouldn't take much to drop the point and because of the bigger handle it would be more comfortable.

Think i'll modify a No7.

Cheers guys

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE