Opinel No.12

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jus_like_that

Forager
Apr 9, 2008
burton
www.jltknives.co.uk
Hi, I lost my opinel no.10 yesterday and can't find it anywhere.
:cussing:

Anyway i've got to replace it but it's whether i replace it with another 10 or a No.12, has anyone on here got or use a No.12? if so are they too big?

Thanks for your help in advance

Adam

Jacknife

Forager
Aug 27, 2005
Somerset
I think the 12 is too big for normal uses. I like it and wouldn't part with it, but would rather pocket a 9 or 10.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Just picked up a no 8(also has 6's & 7's) for £6.95, got it from a local shop, did'nt need one, but thats never stopped me before, and i supported a local dealer.

Rob

JimN

Forager
Feb 7, 2006
The Amber Valley
I suppose it depends what you plan on using it for. Here's my No.12 against my No.6, the 12's are definitely huge but I think they are bordering on the right side of 'too big' (if such a thing exists)

IMGP0329.jpg

ickyan

Forager
Jun 26, 2009
shropshire
The no 12 is big. It wont really fit in your pocket very well.
It is a great knife and my friend carved a face with one once.
It has good con-troll for its size.
P.S the no6 is quite small

hope that helps abit

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yep,

Lovely useful knife in its place - just not a genral pocket knife

This is the eff 12 as against the eff 8

481703282_bc6fbca04b_o.jpg

JimN

Forager
Feb 7, 2006
The Amber Valley
is Opinel legal in the UK? It can be locked and the blade length is longer than 3 inch.

Best regards,

Jan

Hi Jan,

No, not legal carry in the UK. Great knives though, I love the no.8's & no. 9's in INOX preferably.

ATB, Jon.

Yes, they are legal in the UK but you need to have 'good reason' to have one in a public place. A subtle but very important difference. I have also heard of people removing the locking ring and soaking the hinge area to tighten it up of one of the smaller opinels.

Jus_like_that

Forager
Apr 9, 2008
burton
www.jltknives.co.uk
thanks for all your help in me making my decision, but i'm sure you'll all be pleased to know i found my ol'faithful no.10! lol it had rolled under the car! PHEW :lmao:

I have also ordered a number 12, can't complain for 12 quid.:D

been considering an opinel saw whilst looking at the number 12, how does it compare to a laplander?

thanks again!:You_Rock_

Adam

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
thanks for all your help in me making my decision, but i'm sure you'll all be pleased to know i found my ol'faithful no.10! lol it had rolled under the car! PHEW :lmao:

I have also ordered a number 12, can't complain for 12 quid.:D

been considering an opinel saw whilst looking at the number 12, how does it compare to a laplander?

thanks again!:You_Rock_

Adam

They're certainly not bad but last time I checked they were a similar price to a laplander or pocketboy. I'd go with the laplander every single time!

sticks65

Forager
Mar 18, 2007
Caer-lerion
I got this in the post today from a friend in the USA.

Opinel No 13.

014-10.jpg

Here it is next to my bushcraft knife that has a 4" blade.
015-9.jpg

I sanded off the varnish and added a lanyard tube,it needed a good sharpening to.

Last edited:
I have been told by my local Bobby and good friend that the Opinel Knives do not constitute a "locking knife" the blade is locked by rotating a collar and they are not classed as locking knives...I carry both a carbon number no 9 and a stainless Inox no 8 along with my fire striker and other bits on a daily basis...I am 51 and sell blinds so use the blades regularly for work......But they are not classed as locking knives.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE