Opening Day; Chauvet Pont d'Arc Cave Art

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
Just a heads-up to anyone who’s at all interested…

The Chauvet Pont d’Arc Cave in the Ardèche region of southern France, discovered in 1994 by three speleologists, in which were found cave paintings since identified as the oldest yet known worldwide [although I know a wee Spanish man who might disagree.], created some 32,000 years ago during the Aurignacian Period… I’ll leave description to those who know what they’re talking about, and to your own judgement… (see links at bottom of page.)

Due to lessons learned in other caves, for example, the absolutely stunning wall art of Lascaux, the Bärenhölle in Germany’s Schwäbische Alb and many others, where mould and moss have grown as a result of artificial lighting and too many visitors, the Lascaux art is no longer open to public view.

Although there is no comparative wall painting or rock art in the Bärenhölle, it holds a special place for me, as it was discovered in the 1930’s by an ex-girlfriend’s father, who was part of a programme to document bat populations throughout Germany. He and his partner, Karl Beck were having a coffee break when bats started emerging from somewhere around their feet.
On their return to investigate, Karl Beck was being lowered into a sink-hole on a rope when he started screaming for them to haul him back up as there was a giant cave-bear looking up at him. Despite the cave-bear having been fossilised some 20,000 years ago, it had managed to retain its sense of humour! Sadly, Bärenhölle is now a bat-free tourist attraction!

Lascaux was closed to the public due to deterioration of the wall paintings and a replica was created for public viewing, and in order to avoid a similar situation occurring in the Chauvet Pont d’Arc Cave, a replica has been created which is said to outshine Lascaux by far, and today is its first opening to the public. In my view, a must do!

Tickets go on sale today, 25.04.2015.

My own interest in cave art is from boyhood and the seductive Pictish symbolism of the Wemyss caves a few miles along the coast from me. In 2007, while doing the Spanish equivalent of stravaiging in the Sierra Nevada, I stopped to drum up in a shaded corner out of the sun, then discovered it was a cave mouth. I dug out my head-torch and, brew in one hand, fag in the other, wandered a short way into the cave before deciding I didn’t really want to meet whatever had scattered all the bones around. I’m Scottish, and take a dim view of anything beyond the suburbs that might bite my face off.

Turning to leave, my eye caught a symbol on the wall which, I believe, carried the same meaning now as the day it was made… the outline of a hand sprayed with red ochre. So, taking the man’s advice, me and the lump in my throat left immediately!

On viewing the Lascaux paintings, a stunned Pablo Picasso famously said, ‘In all this time, we have learned nothing!’
The English sculptor, John Robinson did not have such a profound one-liner, but as you’ll see in the video, was quite clearly overwhelmed!

Chauvet Pont d’Arc
http://www.bradshawfoundation.com/chauvet/
Lascaux
http://www.bradshawfoundation.com/lascaux/
Both above links, courtesy of the Bradshaw Foundation.

Pango.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE