Open fires in Scotland not allowed ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
there are fires left burning, deep deep fire scars that have not been restored, and old fire dogs left lying around
I am sorry to say I find that disturbing, worrying, sad and while I do believe you, I still find it unbelievable. While it will not take from my enjoyment of it, it sure has changed my view of it.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I would try not to get too hung up on having a fire in order to practice bushcraft. Just having a fire means nothing, loads of people make fire without using or learning a shred of "bushcraft". Certainly nice to be able to have one, but a lot of people get stuck on the idea that its necessary.

Speaking of ejits and the line taken by the organisations responsible for the use of land. Every year we have our Bushmoot, which is populated by people from this forum, people who are interested in bushcraft, the environment and responsible use, and year after year, when people leave the site, there are fires left burning, deep deep fire scars that have not been restored, and old fire dogs left lying around. If that is the best that we can do, on average, the line taken by people like the FS with regard to the public having open fires is rather understandable.

I can certainly comfortably get around without a fire. Last month's deer camp with my grandson was without any fire all weekend. That said, when the camp itself is the whole point of being in the woods, it's difficult to get past growing up with the idea that a fire is the center of the camp. Yeah, I can cook on a stove (or just eat cold food) but it's not really the same. Of course it's completely psychological but, well, so is the whole need to be in the woods. I can get along just fine staying at home, sleeping in my bed, and eating microwave food; but I really don't want to.

You mentioned "fire dogs being left at the Moot site? Could you tell me what you're calling fire dogs? Over here this is a pair of fire dogs

fire-dogs_65211_1.jpg

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
The expression 'Fire Dogs' when applied to camp fire sites over here, Santaman, refers to unburned, charred pieces of firewood, the ends of logs,sticks etc: too often seen at abandoned campsites.
The items you display are also known as Fire Dogs to us too, but much nicer than the debris the lazy leave at campsites..:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE