open cell foam clothing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ogden

Forager
Dec 8, 2004
Forest of Odes
Did anyone try the open cell foam clothing from www.northernoutfitters.com ?
Have a look at the Arctic and the Tundra Liner. Sounds good, but I didn´t try them. I´m wondering if it is a good insulation layer for a ventile smock.

I am new in this forum. Sorry for my english + Greetinx from Hamburg

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
sounds an interesting idea, are there any other links, what sort of foam, how thick, why etc etc?

Ogden

Forager
Dec 8, 2004
Forest of Odes
I have no further information. They sent me a catalogue immediately, but there is no technical information. I didn´t find any other links, and no one seems to know anything about this. But the idea sounds great.

Brendan

Nomad
Dec 1, 2004
Surrey UK
I've put some foil backed foam(the sort they put behind radiators) between the lining of my overcoat and its very warm as well as an emergency sleeping pad if I need to remove it and lie on it. You cannot even tell its in there when wearing it apart from the extra heat on your back.

Ogden

Forager
Dec 8, 2004
Forest of Odes
Nice idea.
I have a problem with tactical vest and camelbak in winter. water freezes. Maybe one could put some 0.5 cm foam mat between camelbak and outside of drinking system container(vest), so I don´t have to wear the camelbak inside the jacket.
But maybe the tube water freezes anyway...

Brendan

Nomad
Dec 1, 2004
Surrey UK
That would probably work and to stop the tube water freezing blow it back into the main chamber after each drink, the pressure should keep it there.

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
Ogden said:
Nice idea.
I have a problem with tactical vest and camelbak in winter. water freezes.But maybe the tube water freezes anyway...
I have this camelbak

14382m3hy.jpg

Its a 2ltr insulated Camelbak Stoaway. The main body is insulated as well as the tube to stop freezing. As you already have a Camelbak you can also buy a Thermal Control Kit - I guess they are interchangable with all packs...

22711m0ra.jpg

Hope that helps :biggthump

Ogden

Forager
Dec 8, 2004
Forest of Odes
thanks, but I use this thermal control kit since years. And it´s great, mouthpiece is always clean (!), tube is protected...
But for the cold it doesn´t work. No matter how insulated it is, if you have no heat production, water freezes! But with the foam, and with blowing back the water from the tube it should work.

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
We are talking about using man-made sponge for insulation -- open-cell foam.

Use of open-cell foam as garment and sleeping bag insulation was tried in the 1970's and early 1980's, including by the U.S. military. It was found to be totally unsatisfactory in severe cold. Moisture from perspiration migrates out and freezes, encasing the wearer in ice. This stops further ventilation, and more and more moisture is trapped inside the garment/bag, steadily reducing the insulation value of the foam. The Army had "casualties" testing the bags at high elevation in the Winter. The products disappeared from the market.

Time passes. The "miracle" is rediscovered. :roll:

The only sources hailing these garments are the maker and vendors. They will go away - again - when the experience of the last generation is repeated by those who buy the products and use them in severe cold.

Use of foam to insulate inanimate (non-perspiring) objects is, of course, an entirely different situation.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE