Only 5!?!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
A chap I interact with on Instagram has just got a new knife and is clearing out his collection to just 5 knives as a self imposed rule.
Thats fixed,folding and lock.
Whatd you keep as the five?
Just to avoid the haggling a little if a knife was a gift or has sentimental value its safe from the theoretical culling.
I'm still mullin over my five but once ive beaten it into a sensible list i'll share it

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
1) A good stockman 3 blade type by any reputable maker. Preferably with the main blade around 2 & 1/2 to 3 inches.
2) A good fillet knife of from 6 to 8 inches; preferably by Rapala.
3) A Buck 110 or the equivalent from any other good manufacturer (second choice here would be a Trappers style knife with both blades in the 3 & 1/2 inch range)
4) A bowie or hunting style knife with blade length from 4 to 7 inches. Sveral good manufacturers so I won't get too specific.
5) A good skinning knife. Probably a Schrade Sharpfinger or another good manufacturer with a similar blade.

I'm assuming the longer machetes, axes, hatchets, etc. are differentiated from "knives." List is subject to revision after more thought.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nearly ten years ago I had a knife that failed. It was replaced pdq by the company who made it, but at the time I wrote,
"But I *need* a new bushcrafty knife, so despite the otherhalf's reservations (what he actually said was, " Really? Are you sure? Do you not think that maybe the knifeage collection has a sort of surfeit?" Inject fascetious Scot's male voice. Younger son just looked at me, shook his head and walked away) I'm having one. "
Now you only want me to keep "5" ? :yikes:

Brusletto Troll
IMG_9031.JPG

Mark Hill…beautiful and awfully useful wee knife. No hot spots on my hand when using it. A really highly recommended knife.
P1020184.jpg

P1020186.jpg

Forager's Sickle, by Jojo. A brilliant tool :D
DSCN0174.jpg

DSCN0176.jpg

Spyderco Bushcrafter, handled and finished by Chris Claycomb himself :D
This is my heaviest knife, and it's superb. It is such a well shaped handle that it's comfortable for a lot of use, and it is a very able knife too, well up for work :approve:
img_4861.jpg

Helle Polar. This it the knife I reach for most often. 70mm blade, and it punches well above it's weight.
IMG_8975.JPG

IMG_8982.JPG

I have others, one Russ made for me, a WM1 that Leon_1 handled and sheathed, some littler ones like the Balder, and they are all used. But you only let me have five :sigh:

M

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
If we don't include multi tools and carving knives then here's my list.
Users.
Bushtool made by me
Woodlore clone made by me.
Busse anniversary straight Battle mistress
Chris reeve large sebenza insigno.
Cold steel San mai trail master.

My sentimental 5 are.
Woodlore by Alan Wood had it since 2003
Bison antler forester had it for my 30th birthday in 2003
Victorinox Swiss Champ had it since I'm 16
Cold steel recon scout had it in 1990
Andy Wood first blood which my wife bought for my 40th.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I sent it to Eric to make a sheath in exchange for fabric, and we've never met up since.
I need to get to the Moot.
It was a lovely wee knife :D

M

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Now this is a real challenge! I think my selection seems to be based around the knives I've had and used for longest. They are:

1. Ben Orford Woodlander 4" - a great 'standard' bushcraft utility knife
2. Ben Orford Pixie - an utterly superb little, very versatile and, as has been said, punches well above its weight
3. Skookum Bush Tool by Rod Garcia in S30V - for those occasions when a stainless number is needed
4. Enzo locking knife - a new acquisition that makes me wonder why I waited until now...
5. Victorinox Farmer - a folding gem

Having listed these, it makes me realise how many others I'd like to include in the mix... Like I said, this was a real challenge!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE