One month (or longer) Sweden trip

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Allie

Need to contact Admin...
May 4, 2008
South west
Cool, thanks a lot!
I was by no means proposing I'd just live off berries by the way, just to clear that up :p
But what I meant is, I'd love to have fresh fish as my main food source, although that doesn't look likely if they all migrate in early september :( At least I know though..
Thank you so much for all the information!

Allie

Need to contact Admin...
May 4, 2008
South west
They are typical Spanish tourists resorts. Full of people trying to get get drunk, laid and sunburned, preferably at the same time.

Oh :lmao:

Thanks everyone!

Is there anywhere in Varmland that you'd particularly recommend? I'd love somewhere remote and forested with sort of lakes to explore and stuff, but then, not too many portages either :p And wildlife!

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Is there anywhere in Varmland that you'd particularly recommend? I'd love somewhere remote and forested with sort of lakes to explore and stuff, but then, not too many portages either :p And wildlife!

Northern Värmland is less densely populated, while the area around the Dalsland-Värmland border (where Preben is based) is more of the "hundreds of lakes, all more or less interconnected" style of landscape. If you want to battle Swedish have a look at http://www.kanotguiden.se/.

As to remote; what is your defintion of "remote". Compared to e.g. Holland or Suffolk it is all howling wilderness, compared to the Yukon or Nunavat it is all pretty suburban. If I wanted to be away from people for a few weeks it is not where I would go; you can find spots no one will come for weeks on end if you are off season, but for any travel you are bound to see Man and his works.

As to protages; get a canoe cart when you rent your canoe. In that region there is a lot of small dirt roads, and with a canoe cart you can portage for many km in relative ease. I like the "Nordmarksvagnen" that Preben at least used to rent and sell, since it has larger wheels and thus makes less than perfect roads easy.

Suggestion; buy a large scale map (say 1:300000) of the region and have a look. This is lousy for navigation, but ideal for seeing what kind of landscape you are dealing with, how far from communities you are, etc. Or surf Google Earth.

Allie

Need to contact Admin...
May 4, 2008
South west
Hmm I like the sound of lots of interconnected lakes - lots of nooks and crannies to explore :rolleyes:
Have you seen Ray Mears' Sweden programme? That was beautiful..

Edit - ah, problem, on one canoe hire website it says their season is 28th May 2009 to 6th September 2009 - does that mean any time after that is a no go? Although on the nordkanot website it gives one set of prices from 1 / 5 to 25 / 6, after the 20 / 8 2009..

Edit again - ah now worries, emailed Preben and he said that the dates are fine - you're right, he seems like a very helpful guy - replied to my email about 3 minutes after I sent it!

Oh and food costs? I really have no idea about that - what d'you reckon for a month of canoeing? With occasional free fish (well, after the permit's been bought!)..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE