One Knife and 6 Months In The Wild - What is your choice?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I have been thinking about this for a while, and this may have been done before on the forum, but I can not find it.

I have been reading a lot of different posts and everyone seems to have different ideas on on knives, and what works for them.

Let's just pretend that you were going to be stranded in the wild for six months and the only tool you could have would be a knife, which one would you choose to have?

Keep in mind this knife would have to do everything you would require, such as building shelters, split wood, food preparation, clean game and skinning. Also let's just say that food and water will not be an issue, but fire and shelter will be and the temperature would be in the low single degrees......and you are allowed a hand saw but not allowed an axe.

Knowledge expected is a basic knowledge of the area you are in, including botanical (edibles and medical). The kit to hand would be in between a grab bag and weekend rough camping kit (no tent or axe).

As for the situation, imagine your fed up with the stressful day to day life, and no dependants, and your just off to get away that very moment without hesitation...to a location with optimal resources.

This is not about which knife is better.... I am curious as to what knife YOU would want with you, what would you reach for with a moments notice?

As for me, I am very experienced in using knives, and have an idea of what I would reach for, but I am interested in hearing your choices in this thread.

For me, it would be the Fallkniven A1, long enough to chop, does an okay job of fine carving and easy to field sharpen. I am open to revision and ideas....and overall just interested to hear from members and your choices.

Pictures welcome, so to be clear, it does not have to be a production knife, any knife, even one you made yourself. Interested to see different designs and not targeting brands of any kind.

09ddf0b5c859692d878362a9bad3b9cb.jpg

Last edited:

Forager
Sep 25, 2013
Scotland
www.instagram.com
Obviously I'd take one of my knives! If it had to be a production knife I'd say either a Busse NMFBM or an Esee Junglas. I don't find big knives difficult to use for fine tasks as long the grind isn't too obtuse.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Great question...and not easy to decide as it would be a different choice to what I'd normally use. I'm going to go with my Khukri...not my normal choice and prefer much smaller knives normally but as an option for shelter building, wood processing and pretty versitile allrounder with different sections of the blade sharpened in different ways I reckon it might be a useful tool!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Forager
Sep 25, 2013
Scotland
www.instagram.com
Great question...and not easy to decide as it would be a different choice to what I'd normally use. I'm going to go with my Khukri...not my normal choice and prefer much smaller knives normally but as an option for shelter building, wood processing and pretty versitile allrounder with different sections of the blade sharpened in different ways I reckon it might be a useful tool!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Good choice! Are the karda and chakmak cheating?

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
From person experience it would have to be a kukri, Served with the Gurkhas in Belize and saw them in use, still got one and use it, it does everything, chop, split, skin, food prep, the two small ancillary tools with it, will do the fine jobs, light fires and keep it sharp.

Reactions: robur

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
A Stuart Wilson piece I was lucky enough to try some years ago. It has always stuck in my mind as one that would serve well for a multitude of tasks. I shall dig out some pictures!

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
My SWC Woodlore. Without a doubt. I've had it since his pre-Ray days, (2006) and although I've tried a number of knives since I always keep going back to it. Rehandled once, used and abused and still going strong!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
A Stuart Wilson piece I was lucky enough to try some years ago. It has always stuck in my mind as one that would serve well for a multitude of tasks. I shall dig out some pictures!
Yes please I would like to see that

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
From person experience it would have to be a kukri, Served with the Gurkhas in Belize and saw them in use, still got one and use it, it does everything, chop, split, skin, food prep, the two small ancillary tools with it, will do the fine jobs, light fires and keep it sharp.
A kukri system might be cheating because there is a smaller knife piggy backing, if just a kukri....

i did a week long challenge (twice because i am weird)
both times i took a mora classic style blade
first time a Mark Hill M.O.R.A full tang clone in the same style
second time the actual classic mora no 2

teamed with a silky pocketboy i
made shelters for the week,butchered deers, carved traps, whittled a ( bad) spoon, made hunting tools, digging sticks, bowdrill sets and all food prep.

pretty certain i'd go with a mora classic for 6months too.

the combo will do pretty much everything you desire

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Off the top of my head If it's allowed a FOX Jungle / Bushcraft Parang cos it's got a Half decent Kit, is suitable for most environments'' at a push'' and Can Handle most Jobs or I'd settle for anyone I had.
stay safe.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Terava Skrama probably, the one handed version as it's a bit more nimble.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Let's just pretend that you were going to be stranded in the wild for six months and the only tool you could have would be a knife, which one would you choose to have?

Which environment are you talking about? Northern Hemisphere Mixed Woodland?

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
6 months.. so more geared towards gross motor skills/general use, semi abuse work but still needs to do a bit of carving and be able to skin..

Without a doubt my JP Peltonen M95 aka the Sissipuukko - slightly modified to tackle a firesteel or debark branches -and the teflon scrubbed away:

1HsllG6.jpg

Cheap enough to abuse, easy to sharpen full flat edge and built like a tank.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE