one for the whisky drinkers

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I have just finished this rather fine quaich for a special order from a customer in Sweden.

IMG_7913.jpg

It may look just like the normal quaich on my website until you see it alongside the one I use myself. It is a big brother quaich.

IMG_7916.jpg

Although I have been making quaiches for a couple of years now I only really started to understand them more recently.

The quaich is a special vessel for drinking whisky but what is interesting is that it is a communal drinking vessel designed to be passed around in a sociable manner. This sort of communal drinking was the norm from Viking times up to the 19th century and is well recorded in Pepys who wrote of sharing a drink from a wooden mazer to Thomas Hardy who often has folk sharing a vessel of ale in the pub. It still continues in various livery companies and Oxbridge colleges at special dinners. I wonder when and why we started to drink from individual vessels, it changes the experience completely, it's impossible to imagine a group of friends sitting smoking individual joints, how antisocial it would seem.

The reason I had never really understood this communal drinking aspect of quaiches was that I have never really been a whisky drinker, until that is we were visited by our German carpenter friends last year. On completion of our timber frame building there is a traditional ceremony involving the drinking of spirits. It seemed right that it should be a British spirit and the time right to try out my quaiches. We had some of the most wonderful evenings with the Germans and then with a wider gathering of woodworking friends in Wales sitting round in a warm cottage in front of a fire passing round a small quaich of whiskey, sharing stories and song. It felt so right, part of such a long tradition and at last I understood the quaich.

My next task is to understand whisky which may take a little longer but I am looking forward to the research.:D

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Robin they look great. As a devout whisky drinker I have got to get/make one of those!

If you're preapared to make one pm me (please) - I'll understand if you're not and I'll have to make do with my own feable efforts :)

If you want an enjoyable dip into whisky spend a week or so on Islay and Dura - now 8 ditilleries and hundreds of different tastes all packed into one small space. My favourite whiskies come from Islay.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It never gives hiccups - although sometimes the ground lurches and makes me stumble :D

I meant to say - they are beautiful Robin!

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Lovely quaiches... I would go for Laphroaig if I had a choice however, but would certainly not refuse Caol Ila..

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
caol ila, pah! it is but a young pretender to the throne of fine whisky whos birthday is circa 1920. for a real whisky one needs to travel to lagavulin, a real cheftain o the boozy race dating from 1816.

lagavulin is surely the choicest drink for to imbibe in such a fine quaich.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Caol Ila is certainly my favourite... Nice quaiches Robin. There's a lifetime's work in understanding whisky, but I'm afraid it won't keep you out of mischief. ;)

On the subject of communal drinking, I'm reminded of a classic Irish drinking song:

So here's a health to the company
And one to my lass
Let's drink and be merry
All out of one glass
Let's drink and be merry
All grief to refrain
For we may, or might never
All meet here again.

Sorry Red, I know you don't like singing... :D

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Caol Ila is certainly my favourite... Nice quaiches Robin. There's a lifetime's work in understanding whisky, but I'm afraid it won't keep you out of mischief. ;)

On the subject of communal drinking, I'm reminded of a classic Irish drinking song:

So here's a health to the company
And one to my lass
Let's drink and be merry
All out of one glass
Let's drink and be merry
All grief to refrain
For we may, or might never
All meet here again.

Sorry Red, I know you don't like singing... :D

That's a worthy toast that I might use in future!

Oh, and yes Lagavulin (1816), Laphroaig (1815), Ardbeg (1794), Bowmore (1779), Bruichladdich (1881), Bunnahabhain (1880), and Caol Ila (1846) all worthy of a tasting - and don't forget kilchoman (2005) coming along nicely :)

As I said, at least a week of tasting.

loz.

Settler
Sep 12, 2006
Dublin,Ireland
www.craobhcuigdeag.org
Robin,

Can i ask - are the rims folded over the wood, or cast in a recess and then exposed by carving back ?

Im trying to get into inlays etc myself in my turning, had reasonable sucess with crushed stone and brass powder, but looking to do cast metals now.

Thanks

Loz

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
lovely pieces of work there, my friends and I often drink communaly.....but we know it as passing the bottle...LOL

ok not exactly civilised or cultured, but it is communal!

Smoggy

Gailainne

Life Member
Its a bit of a tradition in my family that one of the wedding presents must be a Quaich, to date either sterling silver or Pewter, but I think one of those would go down well, lovely stuff Robin, BTW is that a sterling silver lip ?

Stephen

Soloman

Settler
Aug 12, 2007
Scotland
I done a few weeks work on islay about 10 years ago,we were mainly at Bowmore and while there had a look into the grain dryer.
The cat had been busy as quite a few sets of footprints in the grain leading to disturbed areas.
After the shutdown they just started up as normal i think.
Maybe thats what gives it that distinctive aroma.
I prefer Bunnahabhain anyway.
Soloman.

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I done a few weeks work on islay about 10 years ago,we were mainly at Bowmore and while there had a look into the grain dryer.
The cat had been busy as quite a few sets of footprints in the grain leading to disturbed areas.
After the shutdown they just started up as normal i think.
Maybe thats what gives it that distinctive aroma.
I prefer Bunnahabhain anyway.
Soloman.

rofl. :lmao:

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Robin,

Can i ask - are the rims folded over the wood, or cast in a recess and then exposed by carving back ?

Im trying to get into inlays etc myself in my turning, had reasonable sucess with crushed stone and brass powder, but looking to do cast metals now.

Thanks

Loz

The rims are formed first the originals would have been and raised and possibly an outside and inside piece joined at the rim. We cheat slightly by having a metal spinner turn them up as a U section. It took a lot of experimentation to get the profile just like the originals but means that we can now do them at a not too extortionate price. well at least we are now selling them for less than half what the first silver smith quoted me to make a rim.

Its a bit of a tradition in my family that one of the wedding presents must be a Quaich, to date either sterling silver or Pewter, but I think one of those would go down well, lovely stuff Robin, BTW is that a sterling silver lip ?

Stephen

Yep silver rim on laburnum which was often used traditionally. Here are a few old ones from Jonathan Levi's excelent book 'treen for the table"

IMG_7930.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE