One for the horsey folk

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
We're very lucky to have the field behind our paddock owned by a lovely guy who breeds heavy horses - and the odd pony and horse for his grandaughters to ride.

This little cutey is this years addition

4575152697_d71eeb60d5_o.jpg

These youngsters got to know us last year and still plod up to the fence for a "chat" :)

4575152693_99326530d2_o.jpg

I don't ride so the subtelties are lost on me but BB loves to see them and I do find them charming gentle creatures

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
My lass has been for twenty years now. Me, I like to lean on the fence and chat to Norman whilst the heavy horses come up to him for attention. They are greated with the age old greeting of "gerrof ye daft beggar" :D

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Thanks BR. I've got a bit of a sof-spot for the gentle giants.

My great-grandad was a great strapping 6'6" of scrap-metal-dealer. As a young man he would ride heavy-horses bareback :-o

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com

The big one's are great, it's the little Shetland's that are B***ers:eek:

Both my Wife and Daughter ride, I used to & had a 15'2 mare on loan for a while.

Still get to spend time round horses when I go to the stables but no urge to ride one any more.

Richard

Last edited:

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Thanks BR. I've got a bit of a sof-spot for the gentle giants.

My great-grandad was a great strapping 6'6" of scrap-metal-dealer. As a young man he would ride heavy-horses bareback :-o

Both my grandads were 6ft odds and ploughmen. I remember the tales they'd tell when i was a kid of the 'secret word' they'd use to calm the horses.

I've loved shire horses since then, I'm not fussed about riding them or any other horses though.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Both my grandads were 6ft odds and ploughmen. I remember the tales they'd tell when i was a kid of the 'secret word' they'd use to calm the horses.

I've loved shire horses since then, I'm not fussed about riding them or any other horses though.
I always liked Pratchetts version of the horsemans word.

The blacksmith whispers to the horse "mess me about and I'll ave thee knackers on the anvil - and thee knows I mean it"

:D

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Apparently you've got to blow up there noses as well! :eek:

(with your breath that is, not semtex):deadhorse:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE