one apple tree biennial fruiting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Planted two apple trees march last year. A Stark on dwarf stock and a crab apple.

Both (for their size), produced surprising amounts of fruit last summer. About 10 apples of decent size from the stark (given it had 3 twig-like branches, that was surprising).
This summer, the crab apple is covered in fruit. The Stark has 3 very small apples.

Would have thought it was a late frosts killing the blossom but that wouldn't explain the crab apple fruiting so well.

Any ideas?

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
Some apples apple trees tend to be naturally bienneal. One of my favourite scrumping trees (some kind of feral cox) groans with hundreds of pounds of fruit one year and produces nothing at all the next and it is extremely consistent.
Frost can be a factor, as is the amount of rain during flowering, too much results on poor pollination, or amount of rain while forming the fruit, too little is the problem here.
To try and lessen the bienneal affect, deliberately pinch out some of the flowerbuds next year so that it does not crop so heavily.
In my experience crab apples tend to be hardier than their more cultivated cousins and less sensitive to things like British weather ;)

DanielCoffey

Jul 5, 2015
Edinburgh, UK
You may also find they settle down as they get a bit older and the branches thicken up.

Oh, and the juxtapositioning of the two forum sigs above is hilarious!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE