Shenley Park Apple Day

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
My current wife and I went to Shenley Park Apple day today.

All the apples that were being sold came from the orchard at Shenley Park which was planted in the 1900's.

It was a nice visit as I had worked there a few times about 35 years ago at the park and orchard when it was still a hospital for mentally disabled people. There's more about the history of the orchard here if you'd like to read about it

All in all it was a great trip out and one I can recommend for folks to try next year if you live near to Shenley.

I did take pictures of every variety that was being sold and they can be viewed here as a slideshow if you want an idea of the range and types that were available on the day. There was also a gentleman selling heritage apple trees that had been grafted onto dwarf root stock for growing in containers in gardens.

Here's some pics of all the apples that were available to try and buy on the day, some 38 varieties all told
I think. There were a load of other varieties in the orchard that didn't make an appearance because they weren't ready for picking.

A view from one end of the apple line

And the other end

A few of the apples...

This was our personal favourite, and was probably the sweetest tastiest apple we'd both ever had. I've now been told to try and find one for the garden :rolleyes:

A young lady from a rescue centre was also showing this lovely little partial albino hedgehog off that had been rescued.

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I love apple days, but have managed to miss all my local ones this year, apart from the one next weekend. I can spend fortunes buying apple varieties I have never heard of.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE