On going wanigan project

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
Over the last couple of days in between the rain(as I have to work outside due to my shed being full at the moment) I have been working on a Wanigan I have just got to this stage having cut the dovetail joints by hand and assembling it ready for sanding and finishing.
I have made the wanigan from 9mm ply the size is 18"x12"x12" I have made the lid so it can also be used as a tray.The rope handles I made from some 12mm hemp rope.

Wanigan2.jpg

wanigan1.jpg

Wanigan3.jpg

I will add some more photos when I have finished it weather permitting

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Hi nodd, Great minds think a like, i started to one myself out of 4mm ply and 3/4 by 3/4 wood.
Dovetail joints by hand :eek: Wow ! ! . Looking good so far mate
I've only made the box so far , i'll put up some pic for you tom.
Cheers Topknot.

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
Hi nodd, Great minds think a like, i started to one myself out of 4mm ply and 3/4 by 3/4 wood.
Dovetail joints by hand :eek: Wow ! ! . Looking good so far mate
I've only made the box so far , i'll put up some pic for you tom.
Cheers Topknot.

Thanks Topknot I have sanded it now the joints keep me busy lol.

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
I have just finished putting some decoration on the wanigan I am working on once the paint has dried I have a few pencil marks to rub out and then it's ready be sealed.

box1.jpg

box2.jpg

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
Thanks Topknot, I had thought of marking out a backgammon board on the inside of the but I have just left it blank for the time being as the lid will be used as a tray more often than not.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I have just finished putting some decoration on the wanigan I am working on once the paint has dried I have a few pencil marks to rub out and then it's ready be sealed.

box1.jpg

box2.jpg

Superb Nodd :You_Rock_

I'd like to make something similar but on a smaller scale, one that size would fill my little solo boat.

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
Superb Nodd :You_Rock_

I'd like to make something similar but on a smaller scale, one that size would fill my little solo boat.

Shewie I went for that size as it fits in the car and still leaves room for other stuff I had a look at some other designs for an idea of size and a lot of them are a lot are around 25" wide.

Gaoler

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2009
Notts
Nice wannigan.
Looks like i've found another project to help pass the summer childminding duties.
I have tons of stuff I could fill one with. What are you going to fill yours with?

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
Looks fantastic and the chess board is a great idea to finish it off. You've inspired me for sure!!

Quick question, how have the handles been fixed assuming that they would potentially be the weakest point when carrying?

I have fixed the handles with screws from inside the box I did think about gluing as well but I thought it would be easier to renew the handles with just the screws.
I have just got back from a weeks camping in the far North West of Scotland and the box performed well and the handles took the load ok.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE