On a fishing mission

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
For the first time in 3 years I've got a proper holiday booked :) Me and the Missus are trekking up to Scotland next month for a week or so in the landy to do some camping, walking and hopefully a load of fishing. Can't wait!

Anyway apart from anything else I really want to catch a pike while I'm up there. It's one fish that has always managed to elude me in one way or another and I think it's time to break my duck.

I'm taking plenty of spinning gear and my fly fishing stuff but has anyone got any tips or recommendations on types of lures to use? Most of my lures are used for sea fish (sandeel imitations). We're staying up near Loch Ness if that helps...

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
A good old fashioned floating plug (with or without adjustable dive vane) retrieved quite rapidly to get it down and then paused for a second or so so it rises in the water by a foot or two. It's supposed to immitate an injured fish, with the short pause in retrieve simulating swim-bladder problems.

That's the scientific bit out of the way. I just know it works! There's a plug pattern which is fairly common which has a fixed vane and a green back fading to a greyish belly. It can be deadly, especially in deeper water when retrieved long the edge of a wharf or some sheet piles etc.

Tight lines! :D

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
Loch Ness. PIKE, EEL
Loch only, not river!. Spinning, leger or float fished dead bait etc. Sunday fishing OK. No permit required for Loch. Contact: Rod & Gun Shop, Fort William Tel: 01397 702656 or J Graham & Co, Inverness Tel: 01463 233178.
INFOReportedly, the southern end of the loch around Fort Augustus is currently fishing better for pike. BOATSA public slipway for power boat launching is located at Dores, next to the Dores Inn, on the north eastern side of the loch. However it is not possible to boat fish for coarse fish on Loch Ness at this time because of so many 'game' fishing restrictions!!!
From http://www.nnh.co.uk/highland-coarse/

Fishing and the Law

(Information extracted from the Lochaber District Salmon Fishery Board advisory leaflet)

You are breaking the law at present if you:

a. Fish with more that one rod at a time.

b. Leave any rod unattended with baited hook in the water (this is known as a “set line” and is illegal in Scotland.

c. Obstruct or misinform a water bailiff.

d. Sell rod-caught salmon or sea trout.

e. Disturb or injure spawning redds or fry or spawn (salmon).

f. Fish for salmon or sea trout without legal right or written permission – even in the sea up to 1.5km from the shore.

g. Fish for or take salmon or sea trout on a Sunday – even in the sea.

Use illegal monofilament or gill nets to take salmon or sea trout.

If you break these laws you may have your equipment, boats and/or vehicles confiscated and you risk prosecution.

Water Bailiffs

In Scotland there are Water Bailiffs. These bailiffs are members of the public who are issued with warrant cards by the local Fisheries Board. They have the authority to check persons who appear to be fishing illegally, fishing out of season or who may be infringing fishing rights and they have powers to report any such person to the Procurator Fiscal. In general it is best to take note of friendly advice given by bailiffs and if you are asked to leave an area of fishing for a valid reason then it is best to do so. However, if you feel that you have been unfairly treated or have any reason to complain about any water bailiff then please contact the Director of the Fisheries Board.
http://www.fortwilliamfishing.com/index_files/Page711.htm
But you don't need a rod licence.

Have a look on some fishing forums you should get better info there.

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
copper spoon. i do 8 turns on the reel then pause for a second to induce a bite, every now and then giving an extra surge of energy and occasionally stopping for 5 seconds or so or slowing right down. never ever get into a routine it just doesn't look natural, always randomly do something different, preferably to make it look like an easy meal.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Yep got some made up wire traces all ready. Now I just need the right lure, some practice on the wounded fish retrieve and a lot of luck lol...

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
the best lures for pike are spinners with a bit if red fluff on the hooks, or if you get a plug get one that looks like a pike. big pike are cannibals and will see little (jack) pike as a tasty snack

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Gowersponger is hopefully helping me out with the pike imitation lures :) I'll dig out my fly tying gear and add some red to some spinners as a back up too. Cheers for all the help so far.

leaf man

Nomad
Feb 2, 2010
Blacker Hill
I worked in glenmoriston, right next to loch ness, in 08 and went fishing every spare chance i got. The rivers up there are brill for any kinda fish, plenty of trout! You will be sick o fish by time u get back!
Have fun n watch oot the midgies!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE