Omnifuel, Nova etc in a Trangia 25

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I'm wel aware that lots of people have experimented, putting various burners into the Trangia 25. I was generally having a bit of a read about all this, and noted that the "current" favourites are the Omnifuel and Nova (Not the Nova+) conversions. The last option is Trangia's own - the Multifuel X2 (apparently built by Primus and based on the Omnifuel), but some don't like this option because the X2 doesn't come with legs to allow it to "stand alone".

Fair enough. However, I was just a little concerned at the heat these beasties generate, and the Trangia 25 is after all fairly lightweight aluminium, and I have read of the occasional melting issues.

I came acrross this on Spiritburner. It appears to indicate that for theTrangia X2, Trangia/Primus have dialled back the power on this burner in deference to the risks of melting the T-25 setup. Down from 3000W to 2000W. Think its worth a read if you're considering this option, as I am!

http://www.spiritburner.com/fusion/showtopic.php?tid/22260/

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I don't think its so much the direct heat on the bottom of the pan so much as the heat in the base unit and windshield. Clearly Trangia recognises it as a problem, as there is no other reason they would have dialled back the heat 33% from the near-identical Primus Omnifuel unit!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Not melted one yet using Omnifuel, Nova, 111T and cheap Chinese 'Booster'; you'd melt an empty pan but you won't put an empty pan on the stove will you.

They all work well, nice to have the option of using it 'stand alone'. The best winter stove setup you can get...fantastic, go for it and you won't regret it. Seriously, don't worry about melting a Trangia. I've set up the Chinese Booster in a Trangia running gas for my daughter to use and at full belt on gas its like a furnace and its still OK.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Cheers Rik. Good to know.

Wonder why Trangia/Primus dialed back the power on the Multifuel X2 then (as apart from the missing legs and Trangia mounting plate) it appears to be identical to the Primus Omnifuel? Maybe the all-encompassing fear of litigation I suspect.......

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Again you'd probably need to get Rik's view on that - I seem to remember the 27 being considered too small to take one of these liquid burners (not physically re installing it, but a risk to melting the base unit.)

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Would have thought if you had it on full chatt maybe but if on simmer shouldnt be too bad.
Will wait for Rik to comment first though.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I'd mount in a 27 but I'd not run a full belt, the small size I would guess is pushing your luck. If I can, tomorrow I'll do a video of a 25 in action.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Sorry to hijack chaps, rik am I reading it right you have a cheap Chinese copy of the multi fuel burner?
I quite like the triangle stand that fits the trangia burner, you can also fit the gas burner or the multi fuel too.

Problem is the trangia multi fuel is very expensive indeed!!

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
An easy way to fit different burners into the Trangia windshield setup is to get a cheap Trangia clone burner, take out its insides and drill the shell similar to this...

TranBnrMod_zps5158be67.jpg

The central hole for locating the burner and the others to admit air.

Here's a couple Ive done. first a cheapo Chinese gassy mod...

TranChpGassyMod_zps32d99d48.jpg

and a Primus Varifuel mod...

TranVarifuelMod_zps98925c5b.jpg

Last edited:

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I modded a Trangia 27 to run an Omnifuel.

Thread here

That Trangia set is over 20 years old and takes the Omnifuel on full chat, haven't noticed any problems with annealling or melting and its been run overpressure and melting snow constantly.

TBH, I learnt that theres no point in having the stove on full chat as it just seems to burn much more fuel for a slight decrease in boiling times. Its best at about 2/3rds power which is why I suspect they have reduced it. That, combined with the thinner aluminium the new sets are made from.

I'm laving the Trangia at home for the next 2 cold trips. Going back to a standard Omnilite Ti and foil windbreak and pots that work on the stove, aswell as hung over or stood on the fire.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I can't open your link just now but I always thought that an Omni or Nova or 111 bnr might be a bit OTT in a T27. I modded an Opti 8R burner to go into a T27 which worked quite well and could also be made silent by using an Enders silent bnr head.

X6_trangia8R.jpg

X6_trangia8RS.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE