OMM mountain raid

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ben98

Forager
Jun 30, 2010
West Yorkshire
Hi there
I am looking to get a lightweight, low bulk summer sleeping bag for backpacking and mountain marathons. But also to be used inside my buffalo 4s outer for when the weather is very cold (my last bivi it was -10 and the buffalo bag was OK)
So the question is, does anyone have any experience with the OMM mountain raid? It appears to fit the bill quite well?
Also any other suggestions?
Thanks in advance
Ben

Sent using the force

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Don't know about the bag but if it'sd down you do have to be aware that down compresses easily under other layers and that can always lead to a significant loss in performance. As I understand it the buffalo 4 S is a kind of synthetic pile bag made up of different layers sized to fit over one another. You can buy oversized down bags to do similar without this issue. I would have thought the 4S outer is heavier than a UL light outer bag you can buy so this compressing of the down could be an issue.

OMM have a good rep with all their gear. They are designed around MMs so I doubt you'd go wrong with it for your main use as the summer bag. There are other options. If you are serious about MMs then there is even the Rab top bag or quilts. I personally use a golite quilt which is rated to comfort -7C. I've done -7C before now in a 20 year old cheapo summer sleeping bag (synthetic too with patchy holes in it). It amazes me how much you can really cope with if you have to. I digress.

I'm guessing the bag you mention is over £200 possibly £300. I think the OMM range is generally towards the top end. You could always look at PHD they do have twice yearly sales where you can get a good and light bag for about £150. Of course the full price is a bit more.

I've heard Cumulus is light and that Rab do a top bag which was always popular years ago among MMers.

Ben98

Forager
Jun 30, 2010
West Yorkshire
Don't know about the bag but if it'sd down you do have to be aware that down compresses easily under other layers and that can always lead to a significant loss in performance. As I understand it the buffalo 4 S is a kind of synthetic pile bag made up of different layers sized to fit over one another. You can buy oversized down bags to do similar without this issue. I would have thought the 4S outer is heavier than a UL light outer bag you can buy so this compressing of the down could be an issue.

OMM have a good rep with all their gear. They are designed around MMs so I doubt you'd go wrong with it for your main use as the summer bag. There are other options. If you are serious about MMs then there is even the Rab top bag or quilts. I personally use a golite quilt which is rated to comfort -7C. I've done -7C before now in a 20 year old cheapo summer sleeping bag (synthetic too with patchy holes in it). It amazes me how much you can really cope with if you have to. I digress.

I'm guessing the bag you mention is over £200 possibly £300. I think the OMM range is generally towards the top end. You could always look at PHD they do have twice yearly sales where you can get a good and light bag for about £150. Of course the full price is a bit more.

I've heard Cumulus is light and that Rab do a top bag which was always popular years ago among MMers.

Hi there
The bag is only about 130 quid, so a bargain
But I've ended up with a snugpak softie 3 instead which was even more of a bargain at 35 quid!!!!!
Thanks for the help
Bem

Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using Tapatalk 2

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE