Old pocket watch...

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
So I got this,

Not working

Any advice before I do any thing silly :)

ajata6e3.jpg

rynujumu.jpg

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
That mark looks distinctive, I can take a few prints to the Prescott watch museum when I am back home if you want.

And also see if you can open the inner casing makers mark can hide under there.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
The plate with the two keyholes in should open as well.The makers may well be inside.
You may need a piece of stiff plastic to prise the plate up but it is hinged and wont come off , don't worry.
It looks like admiralty plate to me ; gold on base metal.It may be fixable but might cost more than it's worth unless it has sentimental value.
Good luck!
Simon
I've seen the shield escutcheon on lots of metalwork.It is for engraving initials in I think.

Last edited:

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
It is probably pre 1900, at that point winders were mounted on the top or side of the watch dispensing with the need to carry the key on your watch chain.

galopede

Forager
Dec 9, 2004
Gloucestershire
I have a pocket watch with a back similar to that. It does not open. The watch mechanism swings out from the front of the case when you open up the glass. There is likely some maker's mark on the back of the mechanism.

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Right now we know the maker I am still going to take the pics to the watch meausim in Prescott, hell that place was the centre for matchmaking during the British Empire hell if it wasn't for Prescott I wouldn't be here, not many Scousers would admit that.

Dogoak

Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
'Not working' have you got the key? The holes are for winding and the hand set (unless seperate mech for a stopwatch). Any pics of the guts?

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... Any advice before I do any thing silly ...

Yeah. Don't do anything silly. :)

There must be loads of watchmaking enthusiasts' Websites around, why not post your photos on one or two of them?

There's a place down the road from me that has cabinets full of things which to my untrained eye look a lot like that. They seem to sell for anything from thirty quid to a couple of hundred. But I bet there are some that wouldn't look a lot different to me that are worth thousands.

I wouldn't recommend that you take any one recommendation. If you see what I mean. :)

Is is a family thing, or did you pick it up in a charity shop or something?

The fact that it has two winders and a lever (switch) makes me think it might have an alarm.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Nice. I have an old Silver Pocket watch (the kind you need a key to wind up) which was made in 1898. It is missing the watchbow (the bit that opens the case) and the face is cracked so I doubt it is of great value, but I did use to use it in the 1970's as my everyday watch.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE