old meths picnic stove

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Bought this off ebay a while ago (3pounds plus 2quid postage), but hadn't fired it up, so thought I'd give it a go. Thought you might like the pics. Basic info - has its own burner and snuffer, and packs up nicely inside its own windshield. the burner is fierce and holds a load of meths - burned for over 30 minutes, and boiled 1.5 litres of water in kettle shown in 20 minutes. Pup decided he wanted a brew too, so ran off with his cup!

CIMG0473.jpgCIMG0476.jpgCIMG0491.jpgCIMG0481.jpgCIMG0482.jpgCIMG0483.jpg

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Slight accident with the milk! Its actually a pint soup cup (nearest to hand!) and I over-estimated the moo-juice, but waste-not, want-not............................

You see these quite often for sale on ebay ,and they're a belting bit of kit. It has little tangs on the inside to keep the burner in position, and a civvy trangia burner fits nicely as well. The windshield is very effective, and very stable for bigger pots and kettles.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Look after it, they rust easily. They perform really well and one of these was the first stove I purchased with my pocket money, cost ten bob IIRC,,, thats 50p to you youngsters. I still have one now but the lid is not as nice as yours.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
One of the nicest things about this set-up is that its so light yet very stable - larger pots and frying pans would be easy to use on it, and its not too big to take an Army cup (crusader). Of course, unlike a Trangia you can't keep meths inside the burner when travelling, but I suppose you could always pour back any excess after use. To be honest, I wasn't expecting much from this kit, but have been massively impressed with how practical it is.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
you win on the bargain front! only real difference appears to be the burner - yours has it's small holes lower down, giving an almost-sideburner effect. mine are on the top, a bit like a Trangia. Doubt it makes any difference to cooking times though.................

Did you ever use yours?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE