old mess tent rucksack advice please!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Turned our old Scout mess tent and a leather sofa into a rucksack.
It's thick canvas and upholstery leather so it's a very robust beast. The adjustable straps are also in leather and webbing padded with carpet underlay so I've found it very comfortable even with a full load.

It's got plenty of bells and whistles! The leather flap has brass tie down rings and a concealed zip pocket. There's axe/trekking pole loops on one side and elastic cord down the other. On the front are two canvas bellows pockets and one adjustable mesh pocket for wet gear etc.
The base is a couple of layers of leather and canvas for durability with more webbing loops for tying kit to the underneath and there's a webbing carry loop on top.
Inside the lining is canvas rip-stop style fabric, again taken from the mess tent with a leather pocket and big zip pocket inside.
I made it for me and I'm off to Tromso, Norway next week so I'll take it there to field test it (the airport baggage handlers will probably provide the biggest test!) but I need some advice.....
66fd81ed2474c313d3b9d1add4efb96f.jpg
b48536df815533653e159c5780d71837.jpg
7edc9ef8be88b278f4423527c2256726.jpg
c3540981375ca6beb5da7403642bfe90.jpg
c8419d7932288ea6b9d05eb333d11699.jpg
c56c308ce8492be3d4754a364fa771e4.jpg

I've got enquiries coming in asking me to make some more but how much should I charge? It took me two days to make this first one. Help and thanks!

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
There are probably "upmarket" stores that would easily charge hundreds for an item like that. Calculate the total cost/value of your materials, then fix an hourly rate for your time and charge that on top of the materials, and you have your base. As someone who is self employed myself, the best advice I can give you is to not undervalue your own work. No-one else can provide that particular item, so customers have to pay for it.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
There are probably "upmarket" stores that would easily charge hundreds for an item like that. Calculate the total cost/value of your materials, then fix an hourly rate for your time and charge that on top of the materials, and you have your base. As someone who is self employed myself, the best advice I can give you is to not undervalue your own work. No-one else can provide that particular item, so customers have to pay for it.

Great advice there Brambles, i'm self employed and it's too easy to undervalue your work but when you take into consideration you accrued costs the final price isn't as steep as it appears to yourself!

Glad the website is getting found, what do you think? I've been making camping bags and sacks for myself, family and friends for a few years but the demand is picking up once others see them so I've started making bags from the old scout tents, leather sofas etc and putting them on a website I've created. http://ragsto.com
The waxed canvas roll top rucksacks

take much less time to make. On this one I've put paracord loops for carrying kit underneath plus elasticated bottle holder and zipped pockets inside. I might do some Christmas Fayre's at the local schools but I've no idea what to price the big rucksack at yet.
The phone cases and purses made out of inner tubes are selling well!

The local bike shop would be throwing them away so this makes them look good by having them turned into something useful.
http://ragsto.com/product-category/accessories/ I made up a slogan for them, "locally cycled-locally recycled", should have been a poet eh?

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE