Old meets new in the world of jerky

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Made another batch of the notorious "flaming jerky" today - of it doesn't get you on the way in...it will on the way out!

Flame Jerky by British Red, on Flickr

One thing I was delighted by is that the "Belfast Sink" in the new kitchen is big enough to soak 9 Excalibur dehydrator trays flat as well as full size 5 gallon stock pots.

Belfast Sink by British Red, on Flickr

So many kitchens are designed around footling little pans and minimal quantities these days. It really annoys me when money is spent upon gadgets, appiances and "lifestyle" and lacks what you actually need to cook - work surface, pantry space, and storage.

Also bought additional oven shelves for the Cannon (propane) cooker today. What idiot decided that two oven shelves are enough?

Red

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Smallish batch this time - started of as 20 pounds - but you know how it is with jerky - probably ended up as about 7 and a bit. I started off making the "flaming" for BB who has an asbestos gob, but I must say as a "snack" it works. The high heat level means you nibble rather than scoff :)

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Give me a Belfast sink, butchers block, copper pans and a set of decent knifes anyday!

That jerky sounds superb, doe's anyone have a link to decent commercial suppliers, i've only tried one brand and am getting a little tired of chorizo, think i've overdone it recently!

Regards, TBL.

Mafro

Settler
Jan 20, 2010
Kent
www.selfemadeknives.co.uk
I am sitting nibbling my first batch of jerky, made last night. I have a feeling that mine too may have a little more chili than I had anticipated. Its blooming tasty stuff though, I don't think its going to last long :)

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
So need to make some. Love spicy jerky soooooo much.

Looks great! The chilli is clearly very visible, like it.

Gabe

Forager
Aug 10, 2008
Bridgend, South Wales
I made jerky in my gas oven last year and it turned out lovely. However since then I've moved house and now have an electric fan oven. Can it still be cooked? I noticed that if the oven door is open it knocks the heat off so cooking it on lowest temp with the door open overnight wouldn't work like it did with my gas oven.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as I've got the jerky dt's after reading this!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE