The endless quest for self reliance....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I installed the first of some new shelving units that I built today. I looked at a number of commercial shelves but they all seemed flimsy and not best sized for home canned goods, so the solution was to make our own.

It occurred to me that I was putting in shelves we had made, to store goods we had canned, we had canned food we had cooked, we cooked food we had grown, we grew the food we had saved. Quite a nice thought.

BUT - I could have felled the trees and ripped the timber myself ...maybe next time? Then I will need someone to teach me to make screws or forge nails ;)

Red

(Oh yeah - here is the first shelving unit...varnish is still drying on the second one. :))

Canning shelves by British Red, on Flickr

Reactions: Mistwalker

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Fantastic stuff Red!
Only just had my tea and now all that food's making me feel hungry again, not to mention now wanting a glass of wine :)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Fine looking shelves there Red, and well stacked with good things. :)

Srcews? Dowels and home made glue. :)

Good thought- or if I was competent, mortice and tenon (not even going to attempt hand cut dovetails)

I'd also thought of alternate joining methods. Of course that still leaves you with the quandary of either buying or making your own precision carpentry tools.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Look strong them red.....are they decking boards I see?

I used old decking boards to make a couple of high seats years ago. their still as good as the day I put em up

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Look strong them red.....are they decking boards I see?

I used old decking boards to make a couple of high seats years ago. their still as good as the day I put em up

They are mate - 1" thick 4" wide deck boards - I've used them or raised beds, greenhouse staging - all sorts. They are very cheap (and I get them even cheaper from a local merchant) and strong as heck when screwed into a solid frame :)

That looks awesome BR, I really need to get my life settled enough I can do this sort of thing again. But there wouldn't really be a need for making screws or forging nails. By making use of dado cuts (maybe housing cuts there), mortises, and mortise and tenon joints, with strategically placed dowel pegs, the whole thing could be built with neither nails nor screws :)

GREAT to see you around again MW :)

Good to be around again! It has been a crazy time for us lately. What we thought was a move north to start a new life was a bad move. It was an exercise in futility and frustration, and learning that blood relation does not equal family. We lost our life savings over lies by my own brother, and we relocated back to Signal Mountain when Lisa's father passed away, mostly to help her mother, partly to keep me from doing something that might have landed me in jail. It's better that I let his karma deal with him, and I take care of my family.

Hey Brian! How's things?

Better now thanks! :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Wow Red that looks good, I'd almost want to get snowed in for a while if it meant I could sample some of those wares, no doubt they'll be all the sweeter for you as they're from your own good hands.
Impressive display and nicely laid out.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
If you find a drunk bloke that smells of pickled onions asleep on the floor, don't fetch the .410, it'll only be me :)

That must be very, very satisfying Red.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE