Old fleece jacket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
I have just replaced my faithful old fleece jacket (zip gone, pockets baggy, worn too thin, not waterproof) but I can't decide what to do with the old one!

So far I have thought of

1 - Cutting off the sleeves, sewing up the ends and using them to keep my feet warm during the winter (last weekend I put my feet inside the sleeves of my jumper to keep them warm!)

2 - Make water bottle carriers from the sleeves

3 - Make a series of pouches (not really too practical as things would catch in them)

4 - Make a pillow case from the back...

And thats it!

Does anybody else have some hints or inspirataion?

Thanks
SBR

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Cut the leftovers into 10 or 15cms squares. Do the same with your other old ones and sew them together into a blanket that you like but don't need to be terrribly precious with. If you can work a sewing machine just use the biggest zigzag stitch you can and butt joint each square to it's neighbour and do both at once.

Cheers,
Toddy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Heres my 2p. Stitch something (bloke stitching - you know - triple thread 4 wonky stitcheds to the inch) like a pillow case. Turn it fluffy side out. Stick a basic rubber hot water bottle in it and chuck it in the bottom of your sleeping bag with a zebra can of hot water in it. Adds 10 degrees to your bag when cold and feels like luxury when you dont

Red

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
bloodline said:
Why not put it in a skip we have lots in Gillingham we also have TWO Ls

You will notice from my other posts that I am dyslexic but yes there are 2 Ls.

Thankyou for pointing out my mistake that always makes me feel welcome at a new forum.

leon-1

You could always make fleece liners for your outdoor jackets pockets as a start.

You've already mentioned Bivvy Boots made from fleece.

If you have sigg flasks they can be quite cold to the touch in winter, make fleece jackets for them so that they do not sap heat from your hands.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
leon-1 said:
If you have sigg flasks they can be quite cold to the touch in winter, make fleece jackets for them so that they do not sap heat from your hands.

Ahh now there is an idea, I just bought a Volcano Stove* and I could make a cosy for the bottle so I can keep liquids warm while I am cooking in the cup :)

*Aplologies to everybody who knows what these are but for those who don't then a Volcano Stove is a small aluminium cooking set, supposedly for the Swiss army, that includes a cooking cup (1/2 pint?), a bottle (Pint?) and a fire base about the same size as a large can of beans. With a small wood fire in the bottom it will boil the bottle in about 8 mins, and bring food in the cup to the boil in well under 5.

In practice it works best with hexamine blocks to start it and a constant feed of 3" sticks, or a flattish "Pepsi can stove" :)

The best bit is the price! £4.95 inc P&P at the moment from http://www.surplusandadventure.com/ishop/800/shopscr3079.html :D

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
bloodline said:
We can make something out of it at the Kent meet up if you can make it ;)

Its in my diary but I have an outstanding commitment for that day that I probably won't be able to avoid.

Ironically I am just down road from that the previous evening.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
rainsbury said:
I have just replaced my faithful old fleece jacket (zip gone, pockets baggy, worn too thin, not waterproof) but I can't decide what to do with the old one!

My Daughter sussed it tonight, she is making a bag to hang inside her basha to keep stuff in overnight. She is making it as a tube with the big end sewn up and a drawstring through the collar to keep it shut. :lmao:

She has already turned one arm into a hat and the other into a cover for a water bottle so that she can fill it full of hot water and take to bed :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE