Old Fashioned Cooking items for using over a fire....

Partickpebbles

Dec 18, 2010
South Milford
I have the Crusader set and little open burner, but was curious to see if I could get some old pots/kettles to use over a fire....

Is it me, or are they uber tricky to find....

any ideas...:campfire:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Have you tried the Collectables section on ebay ? Plenty of cast iron kettles etc on there, just avoid the brass and copper and make sure what you're buying is actually a user rather than an ornament.

Charity shops are worth a look too

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Can be; but they are out there:

dsc04319f.jpg

Some talented makers on here for the additional bits.

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Try charity shops, antique fairs, car boots...ive found pots and kettles, griddles ect at these places for next to nothing.
Nice hardware MartinK9!;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you can get hold of Bramble, she had a set of three small cast iron pots for sale at the Moot and I think they didn't sell. Mostly because a lot of us already had the same ones :)
They were being sold very cheaply.

cheers,
Toddy

I have the Crusader set and little open burner, but was curious to see if I could get some old pots/kettles to use over a fire....

Is it me, or are they uber tricky to find....

any ideas...:campfire:

I think I know what you mean and some of the replies have confirmed it but...are you talking about cast iron, enamel ware etc? or are you looking for anything to put over a fire? I love cast iron - in the house or on a car camp - for it's heat retaining properties - great for baking - no good in a rucksack. I also find that a well used stainless steel utensil will quickly look "old" if you're not too particular about scrubbing the outer. For example I have an Outwell fully stainless steel kettle that is no more than a couple of years old - but now looks like a museum piece after many hangings over an open fire! (the interior is still gleaming shiny SS though). A "vintage camping" search on EBay should yield you some results.

Happy hunting

Fin

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE