Old bear tracks in northern Sweden

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
Hello found these old bear tracks today about 1.5 km from my home. The ruler is 30 cm long. I'm not really sure if I wanna meet this bear when I'm out walking in the woods... :)

29xaq7l.jpg

2hs1xq9.jpg

1osttx.jpg

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
I've never seen a bear out in the wild. The biggest ones that get killed here during the bear hunting season is around 230 kg.

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
The biggest ones that get killed here during the bear hunting season is around 230 kg.
That's quite average or a bit higher weight for a brown bear, I think. The average size of bears killed in Finland annually are around 150-200 kg and the largest wild one ever measured is 373 kilograms. Based on your photograph and some tables, I would say the bear that left that mark was a male weighing around 170-230 kg.

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
Yes I don't hunt myself (yet) but the ones I've heard of is just above 200 kg. There are probably bigger ones that don't get shot also.

Every naughty child who went to school in the old times should know how it feels to be hit with a ruler! :D.

Shovel

Forager
Jul 12, 2012
Wherever I choose to live.
The biggest bear I've seen was an Male Black Bear when hiking in the Adirondacks. A friend of mine grabbed a stick and started waving it around, screaming at it. The Screaming was a good idea, not the stick.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE