Old Army parachutes ??

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
Wouldnt mind getting one of these for a group shelter, however all the ones ive found have panels cut out of them.
I know sellers state this is so it cannot be used again as a parachute, but who in there right mind would buy a 2nd hand parachute with the intention of jumping out of a plane with it !!!

Does anybody know where i can buy one with out panels cut out of it, and ill promise not to jump out of a plane with it !

Paul

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
I've heard of the strings being cut but the panels too? that seems pointless:cussing: there's 2 reasons people buy these as surplus:

1, as a shelter of some sort, quite often as a large group shelter.
2. and for a small minority for cutting up and making other gear (like hammocks).

Has there even been a case of using a surplus parachute to jump with?
perhaps in the early days of hang-gliding or para-gliding but anyone going near a position of needing a parachute surely would have the sense to buy a new one considering death is a possible outcome!:(
The "Nanny state" strikes again!

Hoopers and Becketts in Norwich sometimes have them, I believe they are still in one piece(minus the cords).

I would have been really angry if my parachute came with a hole!:bluThinki

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Grooveski bought one not long ago for the Scots group and it's perfectly whole and has all it's lines.
You could maybe ask him where he bought it if he doesn't see this thread himself.

cheers,
Toddy

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
All of the ones i have played with have had one panel cut. It isnt really a problem as it acts as a door way. If its not to your needs it only takes a minute to sew half of the split up.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Grooveski bought one not long ago for the Scots group and it's perfectly whole and has all it's lines.
You could maybe ask him where he bought it if he doesn't see this thread himself.

cheers,
Toddy

That came off ebay, there were a bunch of them at the time but they haven't been listed since shortly after.
Gave Nonsuch the contact details a couple of weeks back. Think he went for a different one so I'm guessing they're all gone.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've got one, it was patched but sound with cut lines though. It came from Clearwater Survival in Glasgow a couple of years ago.
I bought another perfect one last year from Timboggle but Comriecroft now have that one.

You could try both of those sources and ask too.

cheers,
Toddy

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
I've got one and it's HUGE; ask anyone who was at Middlewood this January. If you've been there and didn't see it, it went side to side across the main fire place (circa 40 feet diameter).

I got it from Surplus and Adventure via their posting on ebay and a phone call which lead me to find out that they had "hundreds" at prices upto £35 (damage depending). Yes the main chute was slashed from the top down and yes the cords were cut but you could have salvaged about 50m of 5mm paracord out of the centre if you wanted to.

I think that there are some photos of it on the middlewood thread if you want to have a look.

Chris

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE