Oil on oilstones

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
At the spring meet, Peter sharpened my knife for me with my oilstone. I seem to remember that he said if you use oil or not is disputable, but if you use oil then you should always use oil.

Since he oiled it before use, I guess that means I should get hold of some oil. What kind do I need to buy?

Also on the subject of oil - I am currently putting 3in1 oil on my knife every now and then. Does this help in anyway other than keeping moisture out?

Cheers.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
If you are using your knife for food prep then you don't want to be using 3 in 1 as it's petrochemical based and toxic. I just have a rag soaked in olive oil that I wipe my knife with to protect my knife from moisture.
I always used to use cheapo 3 in 1 for oil stones but now I use Japanese waterstones which I feel are much superior.

Joules

May 24, 2005
Yorkshire, UK
Yep, 3in1 is fine in my book, for pete's sake never use WD-40, you might as well dip your knife in parrafin... :( The stuff displaces water, and oil...

Joules

Joules

May 24, 2005
Yorkshire, UK
Hi Snufkin, we seem to be doing a double act here, get your point on food prep though. Us engineering types, we likes to drink our oil.... :D

Joules

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Joules said:
Hi Snufkin, we seem to be doing a double act here, get your point on food prep though. Us engineering types, we likes to drink our oil.... :D

Joules
Ahh the smell of WD 40 :)

Joules

May 24, 2005
Yorkshire, UK
Ahhh, a 2 stroke, right on the verge of destruction, blurred vision from the vibration... Yep, I remeber those heady dayz reaching 32mph... :rolleyes:

Joules

zackerty

Nomad
Dec 16, 2004
Christchurch...New Zealand
..a good honing oil is half kerosene (paraffin) and half 3 in one.. shake bottle before squirting a tad onto the stone.
BTW, I NEVER put oil on ANY of my stones,...water does fine, just need more of it :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE