Oil for treating wood ??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 27, 2005
Manchester
Hi Folks,

I have recently been doing a small amount of carving (mainly ornaments and spoons) and was wondering what type of oil you treat such things with ?
Most of the wood I have been using has been green. Any tips you could give would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks
Davey

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Welcome to BCUK Davey.

If you type spoon into the search function you will find a host of threads on the subject. To get you started here's a recent thread on

Spoon oils

Happy carving mate - maybe you could put some pictures of your work up :)

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Saffola (pure safflower oil) or mineral oil were suggested in a naturalist site. I copied the information awhile back and can't locate the original site again, so am pasting the original text here, but if you are having difficulty with the wood drying out, stresses changing and cracks appearing, keeping a carving of green wood covered in plastic between carving sessions will prevent rapid drying and changes in stress. Splitting as the result of drying always starts from the outside of a log as the sapwood shrinks more than the heartwood. If you cannot work on your roughed out wood for a long period of time, submerge the carving in a bucket of water and add some bleach. The outer surface color will darken over time, but it can be removed with additional carving and sanding, because the wood will still have it's natural color under the surface. It will be odor free and with no cracks. When you're finished with your carving, apply a coating of Saffola (pure safflower oil) or mineral oil. If you have the time, it's best to seal the ends of the log and let it dry naturally until the wood has stabilized. This may take months to a year, depending on the type of wood and the climate.

Nov 27, 2005
Manchester
I guess the next question is about a good supplier of such things... I have purchased tools and such like from Bushcraft websites in the past but have found these to be a little expensive. All the DIY / Craft materials and tools always seem hard to come by !

Regarding posted some pics for you folks to have a look at..... More than happy to !
My latest quest is to make an ornament and a spoon from some birch. My girlfriend is in the process of selling her Mothers house after her passing away last year sadly. The garden to the rear has a couple of birch trees and I have pruned the trees back and taken of a decent size branch with which to make a spoon and a ornament as something top remember her by. The ornament I speak of will be a wooden mushroom ! Strange I know, but we have 5 wooden mushrooms in our living room that were bought from a craft organisation in Wales.
When I have them on the way I will post up some pics for you to have a look at.

Happy carving...
Davey :)

shadow57

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 28, 2005
Glossop, Derbyshire
Hello Davey... :)

I have made some spoons and was about to ask the same question.
I have taken cyclingrelfs advice and will try Walnut Oil.
This afternoon I ask "her" if she could have a look for some walnut oil in TESCO's.', and she came home with a 250ml bottle for £1.68 p. :D :D :D

She did say that there was some hazelnut oil as well.. :D b

I have just applied the first coat and it looks good. :D

Tung Oil is made from seeds of the Tung Oil Tree, but I bet it costs more than £1.68 :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

shadow57

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 28, 2005
Glossop, Derbyshire
Dont fancy a rancid spoon :( and I have just put my 3rd coat of walnut oil on :rolleyes:

I would think a quick coat of Oregano Oil on the spoon would stop it going rancid.

Oregano oil kills everything :eek: but is not poisonous to humuns :D :D :D

Note .... Oregano Oil is topped as becoming the main ingredient for the next new antibiotic... it even kills the superbug found in hospitals. :eek:

I tried putting a few drops in some milk...and it did not go off as fast as the other milk without the stuff... :22:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE