oil based salves and insect repellants in the summer?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shutupthepunx

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2013
outer cosmos
i started making some salves and lip balms. next i would like to make an insect repellant for the end of the spring/start of summer ready for when they come out. they seem to be mailiny oil based and i was thinking maybe rubbing your skin in olive oil might not be the best thing to do on a hot summers day. is there any alternatives? i was thinking of using basil to keep the buggers away. ta

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Neem oil is the one that's held to be incredibly effective.
I can't stand the smell myself though.

It's actually easier to make an ointment by thickening the oil slightly using a little beeswax.

Beware of many of the oils against plastics or modern clothing; it not only stains, stops them breathing, but some oil actively attack the plastics.

cheers,
Toddy

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Xylaria of this parish makes the things you mention and they've worked extraordinarily well for me; I didn't get bitten at all last year for the first time in many years...............Have a look in the Trade & Dealer Sales :)

Last edited:

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
We use neem in rapeseed oil with essential oils to broaden the repellency and hide the smell of the neem. The rapeseed base keeps the price down and there is only so much of some compounds that are in essential oils that can be in stuff that is sold commercial ly. If you are making your own stuff try cocobutter or coconut oil, but most oils go straight into the skin leaving the insect repellent EO s on the surface. There are quite a few essential oils that repel insects most have very simerlar chemicals, the same chemicals also can cause issues if they are too strong. I had to do some quite complex maths to make sure my commercial recipes didnt over do it. Neem works but stinks ifnover 20% of a recipe, pine tar works but it is hideously messy to play about with.

What are planning with your own stuff?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE