Oh so satisfying firebow victory

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
While we were on holiday in Aberfeldy, we visited The Crannog Centre with the kids. There is a modern reconstruction of a Celtic roundhouse and displays of ancient crafts. One of those displays is fire by friction. The guide, dressed as an ancient Celt, tried and tried and tried to get a coal with the firebow. Her favoured bow had just been broken and she struggled to use the shorter one that was left. She had one of the visitors help by working one end of the bow, but to no avail. She must have tried 3-4 times.

After the display there was an opportunity to try the different crafts. Several visitors tried the firebow, but with no luck. I've made a coal less than 5 times with various home kits, but today I was feeling lucky.

I applied everything I'd read, and everything I'd learned from previous attempts. Initial high pressure to generate dust, followed by high speed to generate heat. And what do you know, I got a coal first time! :1244: The guide came running over and called all the visitors to come see as well. I dropped the coal onto some punk-wood and covered it with straw, and a few blows and some help from the wind, I had fire! :D

If I was a bigger man I'd say it would have been equally satisfying even if the guide (who does this sort of thing for a living) had also got a coal. But I'm not a bigger man :cool: It was very satisfying......:)

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Oh I don't know Wook, no pics = didn't happen :D
Just kidding, well done and in one of my favourite places to visit.
Glad you had fun.
GB.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

potboiler

Jan 20, 2009
Dorset
And you proved the guide right - if you hadn't been there, some visitors might not have believed it was possible! I hoped they thanked you for helping out...

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Wook would you recommend the centre as a day out for the family? I'm not to far away.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Wook would you recommend the centre as a day out for the family? I'm not to far away.

If Wook doesn't I would. Great place, the staff know their stuff, lots to see and they're doing some very important reseach into the time period. Pretty well priced too. Just be carefull in the surounding countryside as it seems to be a tick magnate. They do some great evening stuff too with story telling and allsorts.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland

I'd say it's good for kids over 7-8 years, especially if they're interested in history. The tour is mostly a series of talks which drag on a bit for little ones. My 10 year old loved it. My 7 year old looked a little bored at times. I left my 3 and 5 year olds with my wife since I knew they wouldn't enjoy it.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Thanks for the response fella's, the kids are probably a bit young yet then. We went to Discovery Point in Dundee the other day but they didn't find Antarctica that interesting unfortunately!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Thanks for the response fella's, the kids are probably a bit young yet then. We went to Discovery Point in Dundee the other day but they didn't find Antarctica that interesting unfortunately!

Penguins and ice... Equalls drinks and choccy biccies how are you raising these children? :D

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland

The Unicorn is much better and cheaper too. Where else can you scurry around in the bowels of a Napoleonic era warship? All my kids love the Unicorn, although you do need to keep the little ones on a tight leash.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
The Unicorn is much better and cheaper too. Where else can you scurry around in the bowels of a Napoleonic era warship? All my kids love the Unicorn, although you do need to keep the little ones on a tight leash.

Thanks I'd forgotten that was in Dundee, good one.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland

Period ship, did it ever leave dock? Cant remember. It is cool though.
Pictavia is well worth a visit too. Well laid out and engaging for anklebiters too.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
I think Pictavia went out of business last year Goatboy. I only went once but my recollection is of a bunch of display cases in a garden centre.

The only time the Unicorn went to sea was when it was towed to Dundee (there's a rhyme to that effect ;)). It never had masts installed and was immediately laid up in ordinary, which is why it is one of the best preserved historic ships. I believe it is the 3rd oldest ship afloat in the world.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE