oh deery me!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Well I may as well keep filling this section up with deer questions!!!!
Been tracking today and found the deer (well found them as a helicopter went over and spooked them, my question is when deer are spooked will they tend to run quite a way (distance) or just head for cover? (or how long is a piece of string?)
Will they (when spooked) stick to the easiest route ie already well worn paths tracks or just bolt anywhere?
Finally found some fresh scat (will post a pic later ) which was swarming in blue bottles and was quite brown and light coloured compared to the usual scat I see. Is this just the change in diet seasonal or something else?
Dave
Not sure what the deer are anyone got any deer pics on their ars*s? as my book doesn't show rear views and I hope there is diff between roe and fallow tails to help me differentiate between them.:D

lupus

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
at home
hi tommy i will have a go at answering your question.
the deer round my way when spooked run into thick cover dose not matter if there is a path or not ,i have seen deer run right in to a fence and brake there neck.sometimes thay don't run very far just out of sight till thay workout how much of a fret you are.
the dropings are probably soft because of all the rich new growth around.
hope this helps answer your questions.:D

elma

Sep 22, 2005
Ynysddu south wales
Hi nearly all deer have a territory which the know very well they will normally use the same paths and will know every stick and branch along them, when hunting deer in woodland and you spook them its amazing how fast they can travel over ground you or I would break our necks running over. if the rear of the deer is a chestnut brown with a cream center with no tail but erect tufts of hair its probably a roe,

Ian

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Generally deer will only run until they have reached an area of safe cover. Interestingly deer sometimes run out into the open, especially larger species like Red and Fallow. Think of their ancient predators - lynx, wolf,bear - by getting out into open (higher) ground the deer had a good view, ready to out run their foe.
Deer usually stick to known tracks,I often find that deer will use the trails that I have made through woods.
As Elma said, white fluffy rump no tail is Roe, creamy coloured rump with tail Red, obviously munties are much smaller and will usually hold their tail erect when alerted, Fallow have longingish tails, usually black outlined with white (but fallow come in many colours).
Be interesting to see pics of the dung for ID.

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk

I'm not a scat fetishist honest:)
Thanks the tail is 10" black with a white butt. Fallow then?
Ta D

Scat fetish - me neither!! looks normal, if a bit dry. Does will be getting ready to give birth so this may affect their dung (fewmets). Sounds like fallow by the tail - fallow generally come in 'common' spotted variety and very dark brown.

You'll have to see if you can get some pics - easier said than done.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Pics would be nice but not got a great zoom on my digi cam.Hoping to get a lot closer:) the scat looked alot lighter than any I've seen before but it was a different group of deer and I haven't id them yet so hence the question.Ta Dave

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
This is how a Roe looks playing "peek a boo" :D

BB snapped this today when I was messing about ;)

Red

509575619_504967cfbf.jpg

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Where abouts did you see the deer - eg Atcham, Powys Castle - going off Shropshire logo. Mostly likely Fallow around there and from description of the rump. Though pellets look a little on the small side.

Deer seem to react different dependant upon where they are and the 'distress stimulus'. No hard and fast rule I could ever work out.

Fallow rears used to be referred to as the Target - not sure if still applies and in this politically correct era, creates utterly the wrong impression. Name came from interplay of white and black markings - which could look like a bulls eye target. NEVER EVER an actual aiming point!

If there is a visible tail on both sexes - 99% certain Fallow, 100% not Roe. Roe Does have more of an anal tuft, there is no visible tail as such on Roe Bucks.

Deer UK and BDS website have gallery areas/ pictures that can be useful.

Enjoy your scatology... er I mean deer watching.

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
deer will only move a short distance when spooked (relatively speaking). Until they feel they are out of danger. They also like to head into the thickest brush possible. We have lost of whitetail around me, & I see em all the time. When I spook em, they wil typically take off into the picker bushes, to avoid being stalked. Or up into the luarels, which is impossible to get through. For me, anyway.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Ta for the replies. I am really enjoying my tracking excursions and pretty much find deer everytime I go out. Probably not due to my skill....beginers luck I suppose:) Must admit although I love spring and summer I am quite looking forward in some ways to winter when the cover is not so thick making spotting a bit easier! Found it a damned lot easier a couple of months ago. My next quest altough the deer is still my main bit of fun is a couple of badger sets I want to film on the night vision camera.
Will keep posted (and prob stupid questions to boot)
Ta D
Ps Nice pic Red
pps Oak leaf the spots I usually find deer are around the Wrekin and Ercall.
Ta D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE