Oh deer, oh deer, oh deer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex
sorry but I still find it hard to believe that a dog chasing dear can be classed as poaching, I have this picture of a Yorkshire terrier with a bow in its hair chasing a stag and the owner being charged with poaching. :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It is an offense to hunt deer with dogs under the Hunting Act 2004. The dog does not have to catch the deer (see sections 1 and 3 of the act). Clearly there is a difference between an accidental pursuit and deliberate act, but if the owner is seen to encourage or permit the act then hunting can be said to have occurred. There are also offenses of failing to have your dog under proper control (including under the Dangerous Dogs Act). I'm sure common sense would apply, however the point Poacher makes about permitting dogs to chase is in essence correct. Its also worth considering that some animals will abort their young when chased - it is common in pregnant Ewes for example.

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex
now I read OP and I dont think any intent of hunting was ever there... but hey if you did not notice my smiley face... I still see no hunting going on.

on a side note a mate had his car stolen the police caught one of the little ****s in the car because they crashed it and he broke his leg. he got off because his excuse for being in the car was " I was kidnapped " lol that is all true.

I do wonder how many people out walking their dogs have ever been prosecuted as poachers. :)

Last edited:

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Another interesting fact about ''Deer'' law which may be of particular concern to those who like to collect road-kill animals is that under the ''1991 Deer Act'' it became an offence to ''Remove the carcase of any deer without the landowners permission'', no doubt this law was brought in to stop poachers claiming ''i just found it on the side of the road it must have been run over by a vehicle''. I am not at all preaching to anyone not to pick up a road kill deer but just letting folks know that those who do and get stopped by the police some way down the road with a dead deer in their vehicle could possibly be charged with that offence depending on how the particular policeman acted. And all land is owned even the middle of the road is owned by someone (local council authority, highways etc). The act was brought in in 1991 and i don't know for sure if it still applies but i imagine it does. i wouldn't be surprised if most people thought that taking road kill was legal for anybody who cared to collect it from the road, but with deer it's not, unless one has specific landowners permission.

Last edited:

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
Joonsy this is still active alot of people used to say if you saw someone knock down an animal /game you could have it and if you knocked it down the bloke behind could pick up but not you this is an old wifes tale. deer dont belong to anybody till they die or are killed and belong to the landowner on which it died,atb wayne

franglais

Tenderfoot
Jun 4, 2013
France
Some species of deer are classed as vermin in the UK, as are several other species of game, there are many loopholes and grey areas regarding hunting, a dog chasing a deer does not in it's self prove that you are hunting, as in many cases of law, intent has to be proved.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE