off topic bit of tool restoring....

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi folks,
killed a rainey day cleaning up a General Service spade I picked up a year or two back.

This ones a bit unusual as it has a bronze (alloy?) blade for use by bomb disposal teams. it was in pretty good condition except half the silvery grey paint on the blade had been scraped off. The blade had been deliberately tarnished before it was painted except a band at the top where the handle fitted in, no doubt so you could see it was a non magnetic job at a glance. Since this ones a wall hanger rather than a user I stripped the paint off with Nitromors , soaked the head for 40 mins in a strong hot citric acid solution then brassoed it 'till it shined! The handle I sanded down and then linseed oiled it a couple of times before giving it a coat of my home made wood polish. The blade I've given a decent coat of Renaisance Wax so it should stay shiny.

BronzeGSspade01_zps069a2889.jpg

BronzeGSspade02_zps307633cb.jpg

I've also got a normal steel blade GS to restore, pulled from a pile of 1980s dated ones for £4 a pop but this ones dated 1942. It has numerous coats of green paint on it but a Ex RE mate says it would have originally been bare oiled wood and black enamelled blade. That one will be a user.

It will be something more bushy next time, honest!

ATB

Tom

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
What a beauty!...............Bronze is just the best of metals, I'd prefer it's looks and feel to almost any other...............

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Just a thought, would it have been made from beryllium copper? I know that it is used for tools used in place of steel in gas works

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Could be, it's. nice rich colour anyway. I'm thinking of hanging it vertically on the king post of the weaving sheds roof and rigging a candle holder In front of the shiny blade so it acts as a reflector.

thanks for the kind comments!

atb

Tom

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Lovely tool that Tom! Not off topic at all (in my view) - you do find great stuff I'm jealous.

I have long wanted a brass hammer but to no avail at a fair price - I'll keep using my nylon one for non sparking - it does lack "soul" though

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
That's a rare bit if kit right there. Lovely job you've done on it too.

I like to see a tool used but that probably should be a wall hanger!

Andy

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers! No, I'm afraid I always forget to do the before pics. There used to be a absolutely fantastic stall on Burnley flea market that only sold army surplus tools, piled them high sold em cheap. Sadly the guy completely packed it in.

Anyhoo here's where I think I'll hang it, on the nearest queen post after I've moved some stuff. Ill make a little shelf to stand a big candle on

image_zpseb041391.jpg

PS Red, copper one face hide the other copper Thor hammers turn up from time to time, I've got two sizes for myself, the bigger ones waiting to be restored as the hide side is buggered. However by chance I picked up some replacement hide heads on another stall for 50p a pop and one of the just happened to be the right size. However you need a special doohicky and a press of some sort to open up the hole and then close it over the new head.

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Using a a saw, a hole cutter and a 7/8" bit etc I knocked up a rustic candle holder/ bottom support for the shiny spade to go on. I'll make a forked holder for the handle tomorrow. Looks quiet pretty when lit but I couldnt get a infocus pic with the lights and flash off.

BronzeGSspade03_zps057fd6d9.jpg

ATb

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE