Odd problem with fire bow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lordyosch

Forager
Aug 19, 2007
Bradford, UK
Hi made myself a new fire bow set the other day. Pine drill and the hearth was some B+Q planed softwood I had lying around. The bearing block is umm... Willow I think -it was left over from my original set.

I was sat there getting it started and I noticed smoke. Goodo I thought until I realised it was coming from the bearing block!

There was spit and waxy leaves to lubricate the bearing block and I checked the drill was pointy end up -it was. The hearth was just getting 'polished' by the drill with no sign of charring or burning in.
I was wondering if there is something in the shop-bought planed wood's treatment which is 'protecting' it.

Any thoughts?

Jay

(ps my new tarp arrived today -yippee!! Unspecified forest here I come...)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I won't swear to this but........I use willow for a hearth board and it's awfully good.........might it just be that it's softer/ more fibrous than the pine ? Softwood is a misnomer really, it's rarely much to do with the actual timber strength.

Interesting to hear what folks think though.

atb
Toddy

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Jay,
pine will do wierd stuff when used as a bowdrill spindle - being quite soft, it is likely the top point wore or split apart and got mushed, similarly the bottom point, once heated boiled off any organic solvent in the resin which then polished to a shine - allowing all the friction to be experienced on the top, causing your smoke.
Try switching the woods for something like willow all round, or hazel, cedar, ivy, or any other combination that excludes pine ;)

Give it another go and let us know how you get on.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Lush

Forager
Apr 22, 2007
Netherlands
To rule out any problems you might find it easyer to use the same wood for fire board and spindle. A good tip that helped me to get started.

Matt_M

Sep 3, 2008
Wolverhampton
The set i made consisted wholey of pine. I did get the polished effect from the end rubbing in the hearth, all i did then was add a little grit from the ground, to the depression in the hearth, this not only speeds up the whole process of getting char dust but also stops the polished effect. As for the bearing block i did get smoke from time to time but only towards the end just before id stop drilling.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
MANY people have this problem. I don't see it as a function (wholly) of the wood used. It seems to me that with the "sharp" end of the drill, because of the small surface area, then the amount of pressure applied to the tip is greater than the "blunt" end. The answer is often MORE lubrication. Once the blunt end gets past the initial "polishing" stage and starts to build up friction from the warm surfaces, then the equation switches to one of "surface area" and because the blunt end has more if this, the most heat starts coming from this end.

Personally, I use a a thick limpet shell and it works amazingly well.

Stu.

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
Bit late this but I was at a woodfest recently and they had deer knuckle bones which I was informed are used by some as a bearing block! Should have bought a couple but SWMBO was just behind me! Makes me sound right under't thumb don't it!

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Bit late this but I was at a woodfest recently and they had deer knuckle bones which I was informed are used by some as a bearing block! Should have bought a couple but SWMBO was just behind me! Makes me sound right under't thumb don't it!

Don't worry about It - I know exactly what you mean mate! ;) sometimes life is easier that way.

Anyway sounds like you have learnt the 2 golden words for a happy marrage / relationship .........

"yes dear!" - hasn't failed me yet! :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE