Obsidian Knife - pictures found on web

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
I've been googling knife scale ideas after picking up the beautiful blade from Hillbill. He aslo gave me some Turkish walnut burr and brass pins :thumbup:

During my googling, I came across something stunning from a chap called adrian65 at a lapidary and gemstone forum (via google images), anyway, I thought you guys might like to see it.

By the sound of things, the blade doesn't have an edge, just highly polished so its a display piece.

Enjoy:

P1090464.jpg
P1090466.jpg
P1090467.jpg
P1090470.jpg
P1090471.jpg
P1090472.jpg
P1090473.jpg

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Nice.... obsidian is very brittle, which is why he wont want to thin it too much... that stuff can break if you give it a funny look :D

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Weirdly I have had two conversations recently about uses of obsidian.
First one was with an experimental surgical equipment technician who is trying to manage laminated blades for surgeons with a core of obsidian.He told me that obsidian flakes are the sharpest blades in nature with superfine edge.Only downside for him was the brittle nature , hence lamination.
Second one was a friend who has just returned from Mexico following some research on the Aztec culture.He said that they were superb at working obsidian to a very fine edge for use as knives , lance , dart and arrowheads.One of his colleagues had cut himself on a shard from what they assumed to be a blade from a sword , made from wood with pieces of obsidian set into both edges.
Scary stuff this nature innit?
Simon

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Second one was a friend who has just returned from Mexico following some research on the Aztec culture.He said that they were superb at working obsidian to a very fine edge for use as knives , lance , dart and arrowheads.One of his colleagues had cut himself on a shard from what they assumed to be a blade from a sword , made from wood with pieces of obsidian set into both edges. Scary stuff this nature innit? Simon

Yes indeed, I heard about this many years ago. This is something like what we read back in the 60s.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE