oat straws and hemp stems.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi again!

Also looking for a handfull each of thick oat straws and hemp stems, at least 9 inches long, no breaks or bends to replicate some forms of sulphur match.

ATB

Tom

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Might have some of the oat straw left in the corn dolly I made last Autumn from it. I'll see how long it works out at. I'll be sowing the seeds next week so you're welcome to the stems if they'll do. The thick stems are the butts, usually the dolly's are made using the first long straight bit just beneath the seed head though.

cheers,
Toddy

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers Toddy!
They are for making sulphur matches from, evidentally they did them that way down in Essex, looking at the text, 6 inches would do.

ATB

Tom

DFCA

Nomad
Aug 11, 2009
Monmouthshire
Hey now this has got me curious :)
I bought some sulphur a while ago with the intention of making some sulphur matches (I've heard them called spunks? Is that right or is someone having a laugh at my expense here?)
I was told that you can simply melt the sulphur in small quantities and dip the carrier into it.
Is this right - I have been searching on the web and find very little info - any extra info from here would be VERY welcome.
All the best
Dave

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've winnowed out the oats and cut off the longest thick lengths I can. I've also got wheat straw that I've sorted out from my bundle for cornweaving. I've put them into a card backed envelope. Send me a pm with your address and I'll get them into the post :)
Looking forward to seeing how these turn out :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
Hi Dave, Spunks is a very common name for Matches up in Scotland more especially among older folk. We had English drummed into us at school and a lot of the old Scots words are dying out, It is a shame to see this happen. I try to keep the old ones alive
by using them in front of children , and they ask what they mean.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
But don't google it! Especially not in "images"! Yuk! ;-{D)

They are dead easy to make, I liberated a test tube and holder from the lads chemistry set and used the meths burmer to heat it up until it was just runny with the odd bubble, if you get it too hot it goes brown. Just make sure you do it out side with a stiff breeze blowing the fumes away from you. It doesn't have to be a thick layer, in fact anything more than a thin layer is counter productive as when its lit it then drips off (still on fire) while you are transfering the flame to what ever you are lighting. Ouch.

ATB

Tom

sulphurmatches2.jpg

heres the copies of the two types I've seen that I made last year, with my naff old tinder box. One day soon I'mm making up a big batch to last me and as swaps.

Last edited:

DFCA

Nomad
Aug 11, 2009
Monmouthshire
Thanks for the info - looks like I am hoping for a nice dry weekend for some mad looking experments in the garden with bubbling sulphur then (suppressing the urge for a maniacal cackle now you know!)

Nice tinder kit there - I'm guessing from the haversack that you like some of the more historical stuff - bit like myself

All the best
Dave

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers the new tinder box is much better, theres a thread somewhere with me showing it off.

Yup, I'm getting more and more into the 18th C kit making.

Please see the mini tutorial i'm putting up in a moment.

ATB

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE