Oak Leaf Wine

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Going to have a go at making Oak Leaf Wine(stuff)

I have access to an Oak Tree on my land.
I have Demijohns and Airlocks.
I have NO brewing experience.

Gimme an idiot proof recipe please.

What else is worth brewing at this time of Year? I have many Demijohns.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No idea, but watching with interest :)

While I mind, I like Brewbitz' videos on YouTube. He/they make stuff from very much home grown as well as grains, etc., blackcurrant rum, elderflower fizz, runner bean wine, parsnip wine, as well as decent beers, that kind of thing.
I can find the link ?

M

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
No idea, but watching with interest :)

While I mind, I like Brewbitz' videos on YouTube. He/they make stuff from very much home grown as well as grains, etc., blackcurrant rum, elderflower fizz, runner bean wine, parsnip wine, as well as decent beers, that kind of thing.
I can find the link ?

M

This one?

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
I would have said beech leaf/bud noyau, but I think that someone already mentioned that in another thread. That’s not really brewing as such but making a tincture. Ideally you should make wine out of whatever you have in glut, e.g lifting the last of last year’s parsnips, maybe dandelions etc etc.
I’ve started some blackberry wine (1gallon) using fruit from the freezer, and we still have some goosegogs in the freezer that might not make it into pies....just saying :)

Reactions: TeeDee

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
make an Autumn oak leaf wine, but I don't think they make one from Spring leaves. The leaves are pretty much just a flavouring as far as I know.

M

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
I've never made it myself, but I do have a recipe, from Roger Phillips' Wild Food book. I have made other wine recipes from the same book, which turned out OK.

Ingredients.

4.5 litres / 1 gal young fresh oak leaves (I assume this means loosely collected, not hard packed)

4.5 litres / 1 gal water

1kg / 2.2lb sugar

3 Oranges

Yeast (general purpose wine yeast)

Pectin enzyme

Method

Place leaves in a bucket, boil the water and pour over the leaves. Cover and leave overnight to infuse.
Next day strain out the leaves, then boil the liquid for 20 minutes. The add the sugar, the juice of the oranges, and the grated zest of the oranges. When the liquid has cooled to blood heat add the yeast (quantity according to packet instructions).
Leave to ferment in a bucket for 5 days (cover the bucket with a clean tea towel or similar).
Then transfer to a clean demijohn, fit an airlock and allow to ferment until the bubbles stop, and the sediment has settled.
The wine will be hazy (from pectin), so the use of a pectin destroying enzyme is recommended - best to follow the instructions on the packet, for quantity, and when to add it to clear the haze.
Then you will probably want to rack it off into a clean jar at least once, and allow it to settle and clear, before bottling.

Roger Phillips says that this wine is good to drink early, but most country wine makers seem to think that wines must be kept for at least six months before drinking.

One thing that I would do differently would be to get the yeast started before adding to the mixture. If you reserve a small quantity of the orange juice, and stir the yeast into that, then you can get the yeast culture active whilst you wait for the hot liquid to cool down.

I hope I'm not teaching granny to suck eggs here, but with any home brewing, cleanliness is very important. Make sure to sterilise all your brewing vessels and equipment. You don't have to use fancy sterilising solutions sold for brewing, just a plain bleach solution, and rinse well with cold water.

Reactions: TeeDee and Toddy

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Whilst I'm picking the leaves off I've noticed that the Tree branches are very abundant in what I can only assume is Pollen.

Any wild bushcrafty recipes I can make with that??

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
You need a sugar for the yeast to ferment. Begin with a specific gravity of 1.095 to finish at 0.995.
That should give you an alcohol content of 12-14%. Any more and the yeast kill themeselves ( strong message there).
Much less (eg 8%) and the wine will taste "off" like something went wrong. And it did.
Watch for grocery sales on raisins. They ferment well and aid in clearing flocculent/suspended protein mist.

The yeastie-beasties will fart off carbon dioxide and ooze out ethanol alcohol.
Lots of other flavenoids that you can fool with for taste.
Use a wine yeast variety for the sake of some predictability. Sterilize the must, add the yeast and enjoy.

I usually siphoned off a gallon of grape juice and added all the yeast to that for 24-48 hrs to get a good starter culture going.
That way, my choice of yeast can overwhelm any raw/wild yeasts coming in on the grape skins.
I could start with 25 x 36 lb cases of California Zinfandel grapes to make 450 liters of wine with 3 man-days work.
That was about $0.75/liter and another $0.25 for the damn cork. Bag-in-a-box is convenient.
But the economics of home wine making are certainly there, even to cover the capital cost of the equipment.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I've just been looking out my old wine brewing stuff and found a strawberry wine kit. Best before date 2015. Anyone know if it's worth the effort and gold dust of sugar to have a go?
I do have one separate sachet of white wine yeast that is still in date .. just (June 2020) so that could be used if the kit one doesn't work. I've never done kit wines before. Bought this just before I lost my son so never had the heart to make it.
Worth a go or not?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've just been looking out my old wine brewing stuff and found a strawberry wine kit. Best before date 2015. Anyone know if it's worth the effort and gold dust of sugar to have a go?
I do have one separate sachet of white wine yeast that is still in date .. just (June 2020) so that could be used if the kit one doesn't work. I've never done kit wines before. Bought this just before I lost my son so never had the heart to make it.
Worth a go or not?

If it's all dry and sealed it's got to be worth a go I'd think. Not the yeast, it'll be long past being useable, but if you have new stuff I'd try that.
Maybe do as @Robson Valley suggests though and kick start the yeast in a small batch to get it going before adding it to the main brew.

I think there's an old beer making kit somewhere in the depths of my pantry. The kind that comes in a big tin like the oranges for marmalade.
Might dig that out and have a play :)
I think I'd prefer cider or your strawberry wine though.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE