oak handline

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
A few forum members asked for some fishing bits and pieces, hooks etc, after stating that the survival fishing kits available were a bit over-priced. I had a google and could only agree. As an angling addict myself I found the kits lacking in many areas, some kits had unnecessary parts, others had hooks that were too big or too small and unbalanced tackle, and the line holders were crap.

I have used the cuban yoyo type handlines in the past, which are brilliant, the only problem is they are pretty bulky, and not just something you would carry around on the off chance you might fish with it. So I created a flat handline, with the profile of the yoyo, and it casts suprisingly well. This one is rigged up with 8lb line and a 7g spoon, and I can get it to the back of my 25 yard garden easily. I've nipped one of the points on the treble hook off so the whole thing can be tidied away quickly and easily, and just thrown back in the bag. The biggest thing that suprised me is I found it slightly easier to reel in than the yoyo. The retrieve rate seems good too, testing will tell but I think it will be fast enough to fish a lure with

WP_20200506_004.jpg

I would like to make it clear that in the UK, hand line fishing is only legal in the sea, not fresh water. Testing a lure thrown on such gear, is also illegal in fresh water, even if the intent is just to test it and not catch anything.

Last edited:

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Nicely done and that's a good distance to cast with that block. That looks really neat and tidy and nice and easy to make. goodjob

Thanks Tony :)

That looks tidy (as we say in Wales). Can you explain how you cast with it please?

And it looks like you need to put out a health warning for the making of them though :)

One hand holds the handline with fingers through the hole, the other hand swings the lure (lasso style). When the lure is released just point the handline in the direction your aiming for (when I say point, the line lay on the handline will be positioned 90 degrees to your target so the line will peel off nicely)

That was an unrelated whittling incident... :)

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
did you hammer out the copper? lets see a better picture...

WP_20200430_009.jpg

These were a few I knocked up recently. Still need proper testing though! The 3rd one up had an outing on wednesday, nipped down to the river for an hour and had a follow on it. It was a cold day though, I came back yesterday late afternoon and managed a good trout, on a shop bought lure though :(

I'll try to remember to take some pics of the process next time I make some if people are interested

Reactions: Broch and Corso

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Those look great

I'm testing stuff too - trying to work out how small a bobber I can get away with and what it should be made of - looking for something around 2-2.5" long and not too wide

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
It would be good if when posting stuff like this, the person posting could include a statement about the law where they are and how they intend to use, or test, the equipment. It would be a shame for people who read the forum getting the idea that we condone or promote anything illegal, or get the impression that there are no legal problems with things that can be illegal.

For instance, in the UK, hand line fishing is only legal in the sea, not fresh water. Testing a lure thrown on such gear, is also illegal in fresh water, even if the intent is just to test it and not catch anything.

Some might argue that in a "survival" situation the law is waived, but in the UK the chance of needing to fish for survival is vanishingly small. Elsewhere in the world the techniques can be fine, and there can be more legitimate reason for having emergency fishing gear, but I rather suspect that most people who fancy having such gear will never get to these places.

It is up to the folk who know about this and demonstrate the gear to include this kind of information so folk reading have a full understanding. We already tend to carry more gear than we need...just in case.

Chris

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Good point Chris; I had actually forgotten that! It's also true that game fishing is restricted to flies on some stretches of river and lures are not allowed.

Being devil's advocate, and for the sake of clarity, when does a stick and a piece of string become a rod and line? For example, say I cast said lure from the handle, then propped the line up in a Y of a stick before I started retrieving it, would that be a rod and line?

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I suppose there are two tests. One is casting, do you use the rod to cast? Second test would be what happens to the line if a fish is hooked. If the line remains attached to the "rod" and causes it to bend, you are using the rod to catch the fish. There is little difference other than technology between a roach pole and a hazel rod with a string tied to the end. I am leaning towards the second being the real litmus test. If the "reel" isn't attached to the "rod" by intent, then I can imagine being on shaky ground.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Is there an idiot's guide out there as to how long to make your bands, how wide to have them and how much to taper them? (I'm sure that there are lots of subjective options but a good beginners choice without having to do lots of experimentation)

I seem to recall that attachment is just by wrapping the bands with offcuts of the band?
I suppose there are two tests. One is casting, do you use the rod to cast? Second test would be what happens to the line if a fish is hooked. If the line remains attached to the "rod" and causes it to bend, you are using the rod to catch the fish. There is little difference other than technology between a roach pole and a hazel rod with a string tied to the end. I am leaning towards the second being the real litmus test. If the "reel" isn't attached to the "rod" by intent, then I can imagine being on shaky ground.

I might have an elegant solution to this problem, I've called it the bushcraft rod ring. I'll pop it up in another post.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
That looks awesome :) is it your own? If the reel was tweaked into a similar design to the OP, and put on a quick release system it would probably cast quite well too!

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
nope not mine -
That looks awesome :) is it your own? If the reel was tweaked into a similar design to the OP, and put on a quick release system it would probably cast quite well too!

Its not mine its a picture of a setup a chap on BushcraftUSA made (field-expedient)

Its a chris janowsky design

One of my planne projexts I havn't yet got round to :)

heres a variation that you can use as a rod or sea raft fishing handline

IMG_20160531_100730658_HDR.jpg

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Here's an old thread about copper spoons - shame the pictures were bucketed

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
View attachment 59008

These were a few I knocked up recently. Still need proper testing though! The 3rd one up had an outing on wednesday, nipped down to the river for an hour and had a follow on it. It was a cold day though, I came back yesterday late afternoon and managed a good trout, on a shop bought lure though :(

I'll try to remember to take some pics of the process next time I make some if people are interested

fancy giving these a try wondering what thickness you used?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE