O1 tool steel opinel

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Carbon steel Opinels are made from steel with 0.9% carbon, which is the same ball park as O1.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I agree seems a bit of a waste of time you'd be better off making a whole knife than just the blade to fit in an opinel handle.

coolest opinel blade mod I've everseen though, was someone who too a Mora blade and fitted it to an opinel handle.

Beyond that stag looks great as a replacement

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
What do you perceive is wrong with the original blade?

That's what I was wondering :confused: :dunno: If they were only available as stainless, it might make sense ... unless the OP is wanting to replicate one of the few models which isn't (or wasn't) available in carbon???

The steels Opinel use are good ~ I modified the shape of one of mine as I wanted to see how they performed with a more of a drop/spear point profile. But this was before the # 08 Oyster and Garden models were available in carbon ;) (EDIT: Actually ... no, they're not! :eek: :sad6: )

Last edited:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
If you are going to make a small O-1 blade to fit an Opinel, just forget the Opinel and carry on to make a friction folder which is 100% your own creation, and will be fully UK legal to carry if you keep the blade under 3".

Rickyd

Tenderfoot
Sep 15, 2016
Warwickshire
Nothing wrong with the blades, mines about 7years old and is about knackered. So it's either throw the thing away and buy a new one or replace the blade, cost wise will be about the same. But didn't know if it would be a better blade than buying a new knife

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
To make a blade you will spend more than the cost of a new Opinel. Even if you have all the tools already, and most people do not, and you don't count your time as worth anything, cost is hugely in favour of just buying another.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
your asking an unknown question - I have no idea what your skill level is and I would be stunned if you could make a blade for a tenner

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Sure, but the most useful function they have in common:
Cutting.

I would say a Mora can do everything an Opinel can. and the other way around, but I do not think I would baton an Opinel.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE