O1 or D2 steel for a bushy???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Arizroughrider

Forager
Apr 24, 2010
Prescott, Arizona USA
I like zero grind scandi edges with no secondary bevels on my scandi knives. The two I have that are hollow ground from Jason really surprised me. I was afraid they would not hold up to batoning, boy was I wrong. The took it like a champ.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
This may be off topic but I also have one is S30V from Roger Linger that is easy to sharpen as well.

I think we're reasonably relaxed about what's on-topic on this forum, and I for one am certainly grateful for your post(s). :)

Do you know of a Web site for Roger Linger? I did a quick search and found a lot of references that weren't for any particular site, and the only actual site link I found was dead.

Incidentally is your wife left-handed?

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Hmm. I *was* going to say read Bladeforums - I haven't been there much the past few years, that's where I contacted him. Googling it, however... Yikes. I have a Roger Linger knife, I had no problems in the purchase, but that was at least 5 years ago, possibly more.

O1 vs D2 - both are rubbish without a decent heat treat and O1 is more tolerant in HT than D2 is. D2 is a pig to sharpen by comparison, but at least you don't need to do it as often.

Arizroughrider

Forager
Apr 24, 2010
Prescott, Arizona USA
Hmm. I *was* going to say read Bladeforums - I haven't been there much the past few years, that's where I contacted him. Googling it, however... Yikes. I have a Roger Linger knife, I had no problems in the purchase, but that was at least 5 years ago, possibly more.

He seems to have had some problems over the past few years and has had numerous complaints with customer relations on blade forums. When I got mine is was a bit difficult. I received an email from him saying he was putting the handles on and I would have it in 10 days. The 10 days turned into over six months which is a shame because the quality of his work is excellent.

Arizroughrider

Forager
Apr 24, 2010
Prescott, Arizona USA
I think we're reasonably relaxed about what's on-topic on this forum, and I for one am certainly grateful for your post(s). :)

Do you know of a Web site for Roger Linger? I did a quick search and found a lot of references that weren't for any particular site, and the only actual site link I found was dead.

Incidentally is your wife left-handed?

Good catch. Yes she is left handed. I am not sure if Roger Linger is still making knives or not and I do not have a current link for him. Charles May makes some great knives, but his wait is currently about 13 months - well worth it in my opinion. Jason Stout is also a tool and die maker. His fit and finish are among the best I have seen. He is fairly quick and in my opinion very reasonably priced for the quality of his work. He had someone commission a Bayley style knife and has some new bushcraft knives not yet on his web site.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE