NZ 4 day

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Geo.

Thought these pic's taken in NZ's South Island might be of interest and show a bit of NZ terrain. Taken on a four day hike.
Up one valley, over a pass and back along another valley.
Not long after I made this trip, there was a bit of an avalanche that dammed the river in the valley below.
It impounded a lake measuring about 1.25 miles long, 547 yards wide and 65 yards deep,
containing about 26 million cubic metres of water. The rising lake has since overtopped the debris dam
and water is draining away through a natural channel. The area in the valley below it is a bit dodgey at the moment in case
the dam suddenly gives up. Hiker's advised to haul waterwings. :)
These pic's were taken before the landslide, so for me it wasn't a case of "surf's up!"

1camp.jpg

Day 1. Camped Young Valley. (tent left of pic) There's a bit more water here now! ;)

2.young.jpg

Day 2. Gaining some elevation. Tent in foreground.

3.headyoung.jpg

Day 3. Heading for Gillespie Pass at head of valley

4.gillespie.jpg

Day 3. Top of the Pass at last. Unfortunately views obscured by conditions

5.dropping.jpg

Day 3. Dropping down towards the Wilkin Valley

6.drop2.jpg

Day 3. Dropping further - head of Wilkin River below

7wilkin.jpg

Day 4. Looking back along the Wilkin Valley

8.wagon.jpg

Day 4. Last day before river crossing to access road. Remains of old wagon.

Cheers, George

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Very nice indeed George - is that your local haunt ????

Looking for a green with envy smillie right now !!

Rich

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
Lucky b****r, I've just spent all morning in Birmingham traffic:cussing:

That looks very special George must have been a good hike, what was the hight climbed from base to peak.

The new lake/dam must be something to see.

Happy travels Pothunter.

Geo.

Very nice indeed George - is that your local haunt ????
Rich
Hi Rich, don't frequent that area as much as I'd like as it's a few hours drive from where I live,
but there are plenty of other spots here to choose from.
My favourite area which unfortunately is even further away, is at the southern end of Stewart Island
(which lies off the southern tip of NZ). I take my kit and kayak on a ferry across the Fauveaux Strait,
then get dropped off by boat (couple of hours south) to rendezvous again for pick up usually around
10 - 12 days. Need a kayak to get around successfully down there.
Great spot, totally remote with deer, penguins, seals etc., your only company!
Weather can be a bit rough at times, but when it's fine it's paradise.Try to get down there every
other year. Here's some pic's of that area...

heading1.jpg

Approach in kayak - Fraser Peaks ahead

peaks2.jpg

Closer. Peaks - Gog, Magog and Heilan man (small one to right)

Magog3.jpg

Approach up inlet towards Magog

gogmahe4.jpg

Gog, Magog and Hielan Man

HielanMan5.jpg

Approach to Hielan Man, the smallest of the peaks

smuggler6.jpg

Neat spot. Hard to find, can pass right by it if you don't know about it.
Access to this is through a narrow cut in the coastline rocks not much wider than the kayak.
It opens onto this beach surrounded by high dense bush

Baldcone7.jpg

Tip of Bald Cone showing above bushline

MagogfrGog8.jpg

Ascending Gog. Magog centre with the smaller Heilan Man just showing over its shoulder

Pegasus2frGog9.jpg

Looking back at the area from top of Gog. The inlet (centre) allows insertion inland by kayak and
knocks off a fair bit of footwork!

kayak10.jpg

Beach at bushline where I usually make base camp. Inlet in previous pic starts to left of pic

Plenty of seafood in this area - blue cod, cockles, muscles etc., etc. but always enjoy a good steak after I get back!

Pothunter said:
what was the hight climbed from base to peak.
Hi Pothunter,
In the other pic's (Young, Wilkin valleys) the highest point reached was 5344ft, which was just after
the pass and just before descending. The start of the trip (river) was at about 900ft.
My camp on day three before the final climb to the pass was at about 3000ft.

Hope that lot was of interest.
I've got a few pic's of the terrain that's practically on my doorstep that I could put up if interested.
Just got back from a couple of nights out and took a few shots. Not as spectacular maybe,
but still remote and very handy! As I get longer in the tooth I kind of wish it wasn't as hilly though. ;)

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
Hi George

From the pictures in your original post I was struggling to get some perspective, hight and distance. You have some awesome country to hike in and now I see you also have kayaking and outlying islands to visit.

You really are fortunate to have such country long may you enjoy it and keep us posted, I also look forward to reading your book.

Pothunter.

Injati

Tenderfoot
Sep 13, 2004
Schleswig-Holstein
After seeing the second set of photographs, I don't think I'll be able to work for the rest of the day. Day-dreaming of expeditions of exploration in NZ by kayak.
It looks unbelievable.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE