Nuts!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

munkiboi182

Jan 28, 2012
taverham, thorpe marriott, norfolk
Evening all

I'm sitting here slowly working my way through leftover hazelnuts from the festive season and got to thinking. Is there anything more I can do with them other than cracking and eating them? Can I make them into oil or pate or any other use? I've got nearly a kilo to get through.

Cheers
Munkiboi 1389046433618.jpg

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Substitue them for the pecans in a pecan pie

695978.jpg

RECIPE:

[h=2]Ingredients[/h]
  • 1 sheet refrigerated piecrust (half a 15-ounce package)
  • 1 cup* light corn syrup (You can substitue molasses for this)
  • 1 cup* packed light brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 5 1/3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3 large eggs
  • 2 cups* toasted pecan halves
  • Freshly whipped cream, for serving (optional)

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Unroll the piecrust and place in a 9-inch pie plate. Fold the overhang under and crimp the edge with a fork or your fingers. Bake the crust until light golden brown, about 10 minutes. Cool completely on a rack. (Leave the oven on.)Whisk the corn syrup, brown sugar, salt, butter and vanilla in a medium bowl. Lightly beat the eggs in a small bowl, then whisk into the corn syrup mixture.

Finely chop 1/2 cup* pecans and spread evenly over the piecrust. Roughly chop another
1/2 cup* pecans and mix into the corn syrup mixture, then pour the filling into the crust. Arrange the remaining 1 cup pecans on top in a decorative pattern.
Bake the pie until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean, 40 to 50 minutes. Cool completely on a rack. Serve with whipped cream, if desired

It's very important to cool the pie completely so the filling will gel! It's actually best if served after being refrigerated.

*cup as referenced in this recipe is a US measure (8 ounces vs 10 ounces in an imperial cup

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Shell them, roast them either in a hot dry frying pan that you keep shaking, or on an oven tray and stir them around often; the skins go dark coffee bean brown when they're ready. Remove and cool. Rub them up in an old teatowel or rag until most of the skins come off.
Whizz the nuts up small in a blender/grinder or crush them in a mortar.
Melt three or four times the weight of the hazelnuts of good chocolate with a tablespoonful of icing sugar and one of milk (evaporated is very good) for every 100g of the nuts/chocolate/ weight. (you can add vegetable oil but Flora or Olivio or Vita-light ( no low cal stuff, it's full of water and this is not a low cal recipe :) are very good, instead of the milk. )

Stir all ingredients together gently. If you overdo it you end up with stuff like the truffle filling in chocolates.

This is one of those recipes that every kid should get a chance to play around with :D
The house will smell glorious, the taste is brilliant, and if you make too much just jar it and keep it cool.
It's great on hot toast, it's brilliant with ice cream, you can even stir it into hot coffee for elixer :D

Hazelnuts are good food :)

I have a recipe for biscuits that makes a dough that you can keep in the fridge for a while, just slicing off pieces and cooking them as you feel the notion too, if you want ?
Very good for camping :D

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE